Throwing issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It’s hard to tell her arm action from the camera angle, but what I do see is her not following the throw. Her backside sort of act as an anchor and she recoils backward instead of following the throw to first.

I wouldn’t take the extra shuffle as a softball SS, but the following the throw is what I am talking about here.

Arm action is she is pushing the ball similar to the original videos I posted (where she had the same action with her backside).

Oct 26, 2019
Arm action is she is pushing the ball similar to the original videos I posted (where she had the same action with her backside).
Copy that. I stand by my original assessment that the arm action is pretty good. Some players throw and it’s just silky smooth. Some throw and it’s different looking. Your daughter is lanky so her throwing motion is not tight and compact as a result, which I think gives it the different look. That play on the run was executed perfectly and a beautiful arm slot/body position for the throw. If she can make that play now I think she will be just fine as she gets older.

Jun 8, 2016
Copy that. I stand by my original assessment that the arm action is pretty good. Some players throw and it’s just silky smooth. Some throw and it’s different looking. Your daughter is lanky so her throwing motion is not tight and compact as a result, which I think gives it the different look. That play on the run was executed perfectly and a beautiful arm slot/body position for the throw. If she can make that play now I think she will be just fine as she gets older.
We actually worked on throwing on the run this past Fall/Winter so at least something I do with her works..😂

Oct 26, 2019
We actually worked on throwing on the run this past Fall/Winter so at least something I do with her works..😂
It’s a regular part or our infield practice. It’s amazing how hard it is for some players to get.

Jun 8, 2016
It’s a regular part or our infield practice. It’s amazing how hard it is for some players to get.
Yeah. Have them practice throwing off the “wrong” foot from different slots when they are playing catch if you are not already. I found that helped.

Jul 14, 2018
Instead of replacing the left foot with the right foot, she should crossover. The longer the stride with the left foot (when she catches the ball) will dictate the velocity.

The heel click is a quick pivot and is fine in certain circumstances but it wouldn't be my default.

Ugh, DD just got the opposite advice from her HS coach. When playing 3B or SS, she always crosses over when making the throw. She’s done Wasserman’s clinic and has good mechanics.

Coach pulled her aside during practice and told her not to box step, but to pivot and throw. Even if she wanted to follow his advice, I’m not sure she could break her muscle memory.

@pattar For what it’s worth, it looks to me like your daughter is bending over too far. It doesn’t happen as much when she’s on the run because she wouldn’t be able to keep her balance. Maybe work on landing on the left foot and raising the right. That’s sort of what pitchers do when they bend at the waist and aren’t getting any front side resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
When playing 3B or SS, she always crosses over when making the throw.

And this is best practice. If you get the inside/middle of your right foot pointed at the target (after you crossover) your throws will always be online and with velocity. The heel click might be quicker but it's less velocity and prone to throwing errors. Ironically you do want your 2B to heel click and not a crossover.

MLB fielders have some of sketchy footwork as they are super talented and can overcome a lot of poor mechanics. Some crossover, some cross behind, some heel click, and sadly some double heel click. With the smaller ball, longer base baths, and stronger arms they do a mishmash of crap (shuffle steps anyone?).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
And this is best practice. If you get the inside/middle of your left foot pointed at the target (after you crossover) your throws will always be online and with velocity. The heel click might be quicker but it's less velocity and prone to throwing errors. Ironically you do want your 2B to heel click and not a crossover.

MLB fielders have some of sketchy footwork as they are super talented and can overcome a lot of poor mechanics. Some crossover, some cross behind, some heel click, and sadly some double heel click. With the smaller ball, longer base baths, and stronger arms they do a mishmash of crap (shuffle steps anyone?).
MLB shortstops, the best in the world, do a “mishmash of crap”. Haha. Thanks for the laugh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee