Throwing issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It may be a different way to say the same thing as others, but the elbow seems to come forward and stay low. In the link below, you will notice the drill your DD is doing, Wasserman has the hand start down at the side instead of by the glove. This should help separation. Does she have pain or speed issues?

View attachment 23893
https://www.highlevelthrowing.com/softball-throwing-drills/
Yeah I didn’t coach the starting position..good catch. No pain and it isn’t like she has a weak arm but it could be a lot stronger…

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yeah I didn’t coach the starting position..good catch. No pain and it isn’t like she has a weak arm but it could be a lot stronger…
Glad it's not pain. My DD has suffered from pain and just trying to fix it has been urgent. I think she has more 'grown' out of pain vs me helping. Oh well, that's how it goes.

Jun 8, 2016
Glad it's not pain. My DD has suffered from pain and just trying to fix it has been urgent. I think she has more 'grown' out of pain vs me helping. Oh well, that's how it goes.
The only pain is in my eyes watching it 😝

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The only pain is in my eyes watching it 😝
i see what you mean on the back end of the throw. It really looks like she goes across the body instead of turning the throwing thumb down. I was told this by DDRoDD to have my DD work on turning the thumb down. At least i think it was him. In any case it is more of an IR thought and not coming across but more down. It looks like her arm path doesn't extend and just spins around. You may have mentioned that like a hitting issue as well. My DD has a throwing thread here somewhere with some other links i can find if you are interested. Mostly Wasserman stuff. But will look for it if you want. No worries either way.

Jun 8, 2016
i see what you mean on the back end of the throw. It really looks like she goes across the body instead of turning the throwing thumb down. I was told this by DDRoDD to have my DD work on turning the thumb down. At least i think it was him. In any case it is more of an IR thought and not coming across but more down. It looks like her arm path doesn't extend and just spins around. You may have mentioned that like a hitting issue as well. My DD has a throwing thread here somewhere with some other links i can find if you are interested. Mostly Wasserman stuff. But will look for it if you want. No worries either way.
Yeah not sure if what you see at the end is a function of faulty mechanics upstream…I would assume yes unless she is forcing the late action. We will keep working the drills/long toss and see how it goes. I haven’t done any throwing specific work with her ever (and neither has anybody else..) Throwing properly wasn’t something I ever had to think about so I was thinking it would work itself out which was obviously a misplaced thought process 😒

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I personally like this video. Short and to the point. Skip over the diving drill part, really not necessary for what you are working on.

If I remember correctly your daughter is an infielder. Pay attention to how short the arm path is in the video. I also think your daughter is reaching too far back to throw (for an infielder), she faces the ball backwards (ball facing behind her), instead of keeping her fingers more on top of the ball throughout the throw.

Jun 8, 2016
I personally like this video. Short and to the point. Skip over the diving drill part, really not necessary for what you are working on.

If I remember correctly your daughter is an infielder. Pay attention to how short the arm path is in the video. I also think your daughter is reaching too far back to throw (for an infielder), she faces the ball backwards (ball facing behind her), instead of keeping her fingers more on top of the ball throughout the throw.

Yeah she mainly plays SS. Her arm action when throwing from the IF is shorter (but has the same issues). I like Trosky’s stuff. I’be used a few of his fielding drills.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A bit out of my depth here, probably, but is she striding to the left instead of straight out (maybe caused by over rotation from turning around)? It's a bit hard to tell from the side, but it looks like it here:

1632250786558.png

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Her elbow drops well below the shoulder. Take her to a racquetball court and have her throw almost straight down so ball hits ground then back wall. Hard to drop elbow when throwing straight down. You don't have to use a racquetball court but she is then throwing herself little pop ups she has to go back on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101