Throwing issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Never noticed the grip, thanks. Almost like she is throwing a CU. Wonder if this has something to do with her throwing an 11" ball since she was 7 YO (vs a baseball like young boys).
That is very likely. Every girl I've seen who came up from little league baseball, has had solid overhand throwing mechanics. There are many reasons for this, but the easier to grip ball definitely is one of them.

Jun 8, 2016
I see a bit of improvement here compared to post #49. At least she is kind of bringing her backside through now...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

This is a drill obviously but it looks the same regardless. Arm action looks ok initially but the mechanics obviously breakdown at some point. What goes on after she lets go is what is glaring but that is more than likely due to something upstream.

I know when somebody cannot throw but haven’t really studied the mechanics much (guess I will have to start..) I was hoping she would outgrow this but doesn’t seem to be happening..,

Any ideas? Front shoulder coming off the target too soon maybe??

I have been doing some Wasserman stuff with her but obviously knowing the issues would make the training more fruitful…

I just noticed her glove hand flailing instead of pulling in.
I see a bit of improvement here compared to post #49. At least she is kind of bringing her backside through now...

I think what looks funny or incomplete is her glove hand kind of lazily dangling. Get both elbows up. She catches the GB on the right side of her body with her left foot in the air. She wants the ball to enter the glove as the left foot strikes (heel/toe) the ground. I know it is not always possible but that should be the goal. Also, she could have gotten around that ball. Teaching DD to get to the right of those easy two hoppers and work thru them anytime you can. It just looks smoother and better. More like a baseball player. LOL
check out the glove side action here.

Jun 8, 2016
I just noticed her glove hand flailing instead of pulling in.

I think what looks funny or incomplete is her glove hand kind of lazily dangling. Get both elbows up. She catches the GB on the right side of her body with her left foot in the air. She wants the ball to enter the glove as the left foot strikes (heel/toe) the ground. I know it is not always possible but that should be the goal. Also, she could have gotten around that ball. Teaching DD to get to the right of those easy two hoppers and work thru them anytime you can. It just looks smoother and better. More like a baseball player. LOL
check out the glove side action here.
We work on all that stuff RH 🤷🏽‍♂️ I cannot watch her play for a reason…

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
We do drills all the time to get around the ball and drills about front foot/catch timing..I cannot force her to do it on the field. Up to her to decide to take what I am trying to teach her seriously.

Her fielding mechanics have gotten worse in general as she has gotten taller. Her lateral movement isn’t as good and she plays too high because it is harder now to get the back flat and she is lazy about it
I know you do. I think you posted the Antonelli video about this very thing. Thanks, I made my DD watch it a few times. She says, I know dad, I know. So now when I hit a easy two hopper and she doesn't get around (to the right side ) of the ball ground ball, I say, "Hey, I thought you said you knew." She is like, "what are you talking about?" I gently (well maybe not gently) remind her and encourage her to use proper mechanics.

Have the coaches get on her about form. All that said, what stands out to me the glove side action(or lack of). One baby step at a time. She is gifted.

Jun 8, 2016
I know you do. I think you posted the Antonelli video about this very thing. Thanks, I made my DD watch it a few times. She says, I know dad, I know. So now when I hit a easy two hopper and she doesn't get around (to the right side ) of the ball ground ball, I say, "Hey, I thought you said you knew." She is like, "what are you talking about?" I gently (well maybe not gently) remind her and encourage her to use proper mechanics.

Have the coaches get on her about form. All that said, what stands out to me the glove side action(or lack of). One baby step at a time. She is gifted.
We work best when I do minimal “reminding” ..which doesn’t stop me from doing it anyway 😂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee