Throwing Exercises while sidelined with leg injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2014
I need some help here. 13 year old daughter has a stress fracture in her shin bone. Doctor put her in a boot and on crutches to keep her weight off the leg while it heals (6-8 weeks). I would like to find some throwing exercises she can do in the interim that will keep her arm in shape and hopefully strengthen it at the same time. She will need to either be in a sitting or kneeling position while doing this so the leg is not weight bearing. Her primary position is catcher so I was hoping to solicit any drills that would aid in a stronger/faster release and throw.

Thanks in advance.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FWIW- I don't have the answer but I have found that sitting on a 1 gallon paint can is about the same as being in the crouch. Could play catch from there

Oct 21, 2014
Her throwing side I believe. Left shin and right-handed thrower. Liking the 1 gallon. can go through NECC drills on proper receiving positions. Was thinking that maybe extensive throwing from one knee or both knees will strengthen her arm as she will need to use upper body to generate velocity or will that create issues further down the line when her lower half comes back it play?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Her throwing side I believe. Left shin and right-handed thrower. Liking the 1 gallon. can go through NECC drills on proper receiving positions. Was thinking that maybe extensive throwing from one knee or both knees will strengthen her arm as she will need to use upper body to generate velocity or will that create issues further down the line when her lower half comes back it play?

Milk crates are about the same height and somewhat easier on the backside. :) But to obbay's point pitchers should never be caught from a 5 gallon bucket.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

I'd suggest you contact Austin Wasserman. IMO, between his throwing ebook, association w/ NECC, and fitness training background, he's your best bet to come up with a safe, catcher-specific regimen.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
What about pitcher specific? I have 11yo DD that is RHP, Right leg (drive leg) out of commission for another 4-5 weeks with no weight. tried to work on spin just with left leg down and holding crutches with left hand, fail. Almost fell several times. Suggestions?

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I watched a t.v. show where an NFL QB was trying to increase arm strength and the trainer had him sit on his butt on the floor legs out stretched in front of him and throw from that position. The trainer had him use weighted footballs (take or leave that). But it would definitely activate the core and required good shoulder turn etc.

Oct 10, 2011
Wasserman

I'd suggest you contact Austin Wasserman. IMO, between his throwing ebook, association w/ NECC, and fitness training background, he's your best bet to come up with a safe, catcher-specific regimen.
DD worked on Austin ' s drills while she had a severe high ankle sprain...I really think she made huge improvements during this time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore