Thoughts on this swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She gets some leverage when fyb but have seen better.

QFXIZre.gif

Apr 11, 2015
She gets some leverage when fyb but have seen better.

QFXIZre.gif
Yes, agree. I think she's a good example of trying to turn her hips w/the rear leg (watch the rear knee turn long before her hips do)....
PJDoqb8.gif

...instead of turning the hips against or into the rear leg (ie. the ground). It's a kind of ABAF (or really just AF) swing in disguise.

In essence, her rear knee is attempting to unsuccessfully pull her rear hip forward, never getting it, the rear leg, or lower half involved in the swing correctly.

She is then forced kinetically...to speed up her shoulders in an attempt to get her to the ball on time, and as a result, has get (push) her hands ahead of her lagging hips...losing any "leverage" against her lower half that she might have created with the decent "fyb" load.

This is why I say it looks more like of an "in place slap swing" IMO.

May 12, 2016
She stops, then starts again. Is that drag in any sense of any action? Or a delay?
IMO this is typical bat drag, are you saying that the start/stop/start is causing the drag, or you don't believe this swing displays bat drag

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes, agree. I think she's a good example of trying to turn her hips w/the rear leg (watch the rear knee turn long before her hips do)....
PJDoqb8.gif

...instead of turning the hips against or into the rear leg (ie. the ground). It's a kind of ABAF (or really just AF) swing in disguise.

In essence, her rear knee is attempting to unsuccessfully pull her rear hip forward, never getting it, the rear leg, or lower half involved in the swing correctly.

She is then forced kinetically...to speed up her shoulders in an attempt to get her to the ball on time, and as a result, has get (push) her hands ahead of her lagging hips...losing any "leverage" against her lower half that she might have created with the decent "fyb" load.

Mud, what does the above mean ?

Your clip it looks more like the rear leg/hip is active vs being a supporter. Don't know if this is her normal swing or making an adjustment for the pitch in.

Apr 11, 2015
Mud, what does the above mean ?

Your clip it looks more like the rear leg/hip is active vs being a supporter. Don't know if this is her normal swing or making an adjustment for the pitch in.
Kind of goes back to my conversation with Ww wrt the "hit the ball with your rear hip" cue, and not "turn your hips with your leg/knee, but never explained how it's to be done since he seemed intent on taking the conversation a whole different direction. 🤷‍♂️

But yes, "turning the hips against or into the rear leg (ie. the ground)" I suppose could mean the same thing as the rear leg "supports" the move, rather than the rear knee/leg attempting to move it. I just never use(d) the term "supports" with it, since to me the legs always "support" the body regardless of what it's doing on top of them, or they're doing to it below it.

I don't even know who this player is, so I have no idea if this is her normal swing or not.

Oct 2, 2017
PJDoqb8.gif

I guess I don't understand how you came to the conclusion the she is actively using the rear leg/knee to turn the hips. If the rear knee/leg is ahead of the hips it's very slight and wouldn't we see different back foot action?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee