This Time of Year Blows…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I think it depends on your relationship and trust in the coach. We have left 2 without notice because we didn't think the coach would be fair to DD if he knew. Left one team where we gave them a month notice because we loved those guys and knew they would want only the best for DD and felt it was the right thing to do. The last team we left without notice because the coach didn't want ME on his team. It was time to go.
Yeah we left one team..how it went down was quite unorthodox (go figure..I am such a normal guy..)...LOL!!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That's part of what makes July/August such a a pain. You have some teams holding tryouts in early July, while other teams are still playing all of July/early August. It adds another layer of problems, for coaches, players, families.
Many years ago I stumbled upon a thread on another forum (HB) and one particular coach was being called out for having organization tryouts before the last Nationals had concluded. The local "Softball Illuminatti" will lower the hammer if you do things outside of the unwritten laws. There is a process that the organizations will follow in order to protect the "integrity" of the process. Of course, you can do privates, but to advertise your organization tryout before the agreed upon tryout window is a NO NO unless you are the Hittin' Kittens.

May 6, 2015
we have left one team where coach knew in June we were leaving. he was fully supportive, when she joined, she was 2nd yr 12u, most of team was 1st year or younger, was understood back that previous August that is was likely for just one year, barring something extraordinary happening. had joined this team after some very crappy shirt a nationals. prior to that, left team after fall season (after final tourney) via text to coach. decision had been made weeks prior (without a landing spot), but we KNEW he would basically bench DD if he was certain (he knew neither Dd nor DW nor I were happy).

did not sound like you blindsided coach, you told him (even if you would have preferred not to ) pretty quickly after making decision.

Always do what is best for your DD. Trust me, there is no loyalty or integrity at all left in the TB game when it comes to roster spots. none. Trust me, DD has experienced it first hand.

gonna be amazed at all the statues gonna be built for all these TB coaches for having such amazing teams and winning so much!.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Do a lot of people actually tell their team they are leaving before the season is over? That isn't the norm around here..There is a reason there should be some break before the last games of the season and the first games of the new season...
Wellll theres the threatener's lol

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think the "Softball Illuminate" have all gone away. Many big name Orgs. had tryouts posted the weekend PGF was ending. And some even had tryout earlier. Its a dog eat dog world out in So Cal. But this year looks extra crazy. Use to be Heybucket was the place to look for tryouts but now a Facebook group has really taken the lead. New teams, new orgs., teams breaking and parents gossip is making for a lot of fun.

Aug 23, 2016
Do a lot of people actually tell their team they are leaving before the season is over? That isn't the norm around here..There is a reason there should be some break before the last games of the season and the first games of the new season...
We tried to give notice to DD's former team. That was a dumb idea that we'll never repeat.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I think the "Softball Illuminate" have all gone away. Many big name Orgs. had tryouts posted the weekend PGF was ending. And some even had tryout earlier. Its a dog eat dog world out in So Cal. But this year looks extra crazy. Use to be Heybucket was the place to look for tryouts but now a Facebook group has really taken the lead. New teams, new orgs., teams breaking and parents gossip is making for a lot of fun.

The Facebook page is exploding with tryout announcements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
We tried to give notice to DD's former team. That was a dumb idea that we'll never repeat.
After 3 years with her team and 2 years with a new coach; DD's coach suddenly decided she didn't like DD (or something) and was AWFUL to her Would single her out after every post-game huddle for the smallest mistake, when she played perfectly she accused her of having a "god complex" b/c she didn't carry equipment as much as some other girls, called her a "nerd" and "socially awkward", try to talk to her about player development she would ignore the question and dress you down for asking, etc, etc. A new girl with speech impediment joined and she made fun of her - apologized but still completely in appropriate.

Chatting with parents they knew DD would be exploring options during tryout season. One of them ratted us out and the last tournament of the season Coach benched DD's glove (usually she and the other baseman trade off games). Saturday she played 2 innings. Sunday she never saw the field. At the end of the second game DD asked why she wasn't getting any field time, Coach said "I could bench you completely, at least you're hitting". Then proceeded to lavish compliments on the girl who shares DD's position even when she dropped 2 routine fly balls. DD has a strong glove and the weekend before started/completed Sunday's the Ch. game - what happened in one week that made her glove a liability to the point she can't play??? Nothing.

Hissy quit or no, when she was benched for the 3rd game we left. She was picked up by a new team in 2 days. Talent will out. And, including DD, at least 4 of the 13 girls quit after the season. The coach was toxic.

Moral of the story - never tell anyone anything, ever. There's always going to be one suck-up parent who will smile to your face and rat you out behind your back.

May 6, 2015
A new girl with speech impediment joined and she made fun of her - apologized but still completely in appropriate.
assuming this is HC, not DD (was not made perfectly clear, but assumption is from tone of message). this is WILDLY inappropriate, and very surprised this girls parents did not pull her the moment they heard about it. this should get a HC fired honestly, so they can reflect an maybe learn.

this sport and youth sports in general are in DESPERATE need of a unified sanctioning body beholden to the players, not the coaches, TDs, etc. too many people are coaching, etc. for entirely the wrong reasons.

Man, I really want to see the park where they hide all the statues and monuments built to these coaches for all their winning of pieces of plastic. Anyone know where it is?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23