This past weekend.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I saw a few things this past weekend while watching a tournament that should make everyone uneasy about what is happening in the sport.

First, I saw a team get eliminated and walk from one diamond to another where a coach handed out uniform tops to those players. There were 5 total and all 5 batted in the top of his lineup. Apparently he carries around these jerseys in a bucket and hands them out each tournament from what I was told. He had some of his players on the bench and so, if I were a parent, I'd be hacked off.

Secondly, I saw a team win the tournament and a line formed with the coach to complain about playing time for their child. The team won the tournament and, as much as I could tell, every player of that team played in the championship game. To me, it looked like the coach was upset that even when they won a tournament, the coach has to deal with unhappy parents.

I saw terrible umpiring in a game I coached which was then followed the next game by exceptional umpires. On my way to 3rd base, I stopped to ask the umpire just how much of the plate was my pitcher missing since she has an exceptional curve ball and it was never called for a strike. I swear the umpire stated that the pitch was hitting the corner of the plate but he wasn't convinced it was a strike. I could go on about the rest of the game but this example pretty much demonstrates what happened. The following game, we had two umpires that were awesome. They made a bad call that went in my team's favor and then, changed their call. They called me over and explained what their thought process was and the rules per the book. I told them that I'd hire those two umpires anytime.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
You will always get good and bad umps. Nothing new there.
Complaining parents are nothing new either.

Kids changing teams mid tournament is troubling. I would discuss that with the TD if I were you. Most tournaments don't allow mid-tourney roster changes

Mar 1, 2015
I saw a few things this past weekend while watching a tournament that should make everyone uneasy about what is happening in the sport.

First, I saw a team get eliminated and walk from one diamond to another where a coach handed out uniform tops to those players. There were 5 total and all 5 batted in the top of his lineup. Apparently he carries around these jerseys in a bucket and hands them out each tournament from what I was told. He had some of his players on the bench and so, if I were a parent, I'd be hacked off.

I'm not clear on what's happening here...can you clarify?

thanks!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
These players were the top players on their team and two were pitchers. Apparently whomever this coach was, thought that they were better than the players on his team. Take the best from two teams and you should be decent.

Mar 1, 2015
These players were the top players on their team and two were pitchers. Apparently whomever this coach was, thought that they were better than the players on his team. Take the best from two teams and you should be decent.

I'm still confused...so what you're saying is a team was eliminated from a tournament, and then 5 girls from that team went and played for another team that was still alive in the tournament? If so, I've never seen that before, hence my confusion. Is this a common occurrence? Where are you playing out of?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm still confused...so what you're saying is a team was eliminated from a tournament, and then 5 girls from that team went and played for another team that was still alive in the tournament? If so, I've never seen that before, hence my confusion. Is this a common occurrence? Where are you playing out of?

Yes, that is what I am saying. No, I have never seen this happen before. I'm from the St. Louis area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl