This Old Man is dusting off the cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Julray

Is there any reason you are leaning back?
Not a conscious decision to do so. When I’m hitting it doesn’t feel like I’m doing that. If I focus on getting more forward I feel that I’m getting over my front side too much, lunging I guess. What are your thoughts?

Apr 11, 2015
Not a conscious decision to do so. When I’m hitting it doesn’t feel like I’m doing that. If I focus on getting more forward I feel that I’m getting over my front side too much, lunging I guess. What are your thoughts?
You didn't reply to this from James...
View attachment 23621 View attachment 23622

We may be dealing with a little bit of angles but what I am seeing is a lean back. Not an ATTACK posture. You should feel like your head is over your front leg. Fix this and I think you will be in good shape.
...but I think he brings up a real good point and comparison.

Might try that a few times in a mirror, and then see if you're able to consciously do it once back at the tee. I think it will really help get your load going "into" your rear leg/foot, instead of "over" or "on top" of it as it appears to be now.

Oct 2, 2017
This reminds me of when I'm trying to feel things when I swing. For ex. I feel like I'm striding out real wide, but in reality it's not much at all, when I go back and look at video. Same for hinging in the hips. Feel like I'm really doing it, but reality is that I'm not. 😂 It's a real slap in the face wake up call, to what probably is happening when teaching DD something. "Dad, I'm doing what you are asking me to do!" Me to daughter "I assure you, your not even close to doing what I'm asking!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Let that be a lesson to any of you who are trying to teach your DD something, with the swing or otherwise. :p

May 12, 2016
You didn't reply to this from James...

...but I think he brings up a real good point and comparison.

Might try that a few times in a mirror, and then see if you're able to consciously do it once back at the tee. I think it will really help get your load going "into" your rear leg/foot, instead of "over" or "on top" of it as it appears to be now.
Willing to try anything, that's the purpose of this thread. I'll give it a shot the next time out

May 12, 2016
This reminds me of when I'm trying to feel things when I swing. For ex. I feel like I'm striding out real wide, but in reality it's not much at all, when I go back and look at video. Same for hinging in the hips. Feel like I'm really doing it, but reality is that I'm not. 😂 It's a real slap in the face wake up call, to what probably is happening when teaching DD something. "Dad, I'm doing what you are asking me to do!" Me to daughter "I assure you, your not even close to doing what I'm asking!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Let that be a lesson to any of you who are trying to teach your DD something, with the swing or otherwise. :p
This has been very very insightful for me so far. I've mentioned a couple of times in the thread exactly what you are saying above. That's why I say to any parent, before teaching, try to replicate yourself, it will cut down on some arguments :)

Oct 2, 2017
This has been very very insightful for me so far. I've mentioned a couple of times in the thread exactly what you are saying above. That's why I say to any parent, before teaching, try to replicate yourself, it will cut down on some arguments :)
Very insightful and helpful.

With regards to the leaning back thing. A way of maybe feeling it different, is to get the front knee directly under your front hip (More like a hip hinge up front action). 1st and then the pull back. If that's what you are trying to do. It doesn't have to be a big move either. Just a thought

Look at Yelich's hip hing up front actions (His hands then are reacting naturally which makes it look like a coil, or he is actively pulling back) vs how yours is more of a rock back coil with a pull back. Yelich is along with many other pro's are more up and down s-plane actions vs a rocking type back to forward.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I think you are leaning back as a loading action. Need to hinge at the hips.

Feb 25, 2020
Can you try some where you feel like "your nose is in front of your belly button" from the start?(probly tough off tee since you dont get to look at the pitcher)

I think some of them are a little better than others here.

Bonds_Barry_TB.L_002_UpperBody_01-20_R.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28