This Old Man is dusting off the cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
a reach to me is when the front leg extends before the pelvis advances. Don’t see that w Seager. Yelich has done this the last few years. Notice when the middle stretches.

last year
View attachment 23595

Mvp year.
View attachment 23594

The weight gets back behind him (Seager) a bit more than towards the catcher at set up. Then he gathers back towards the catcher a bit w a still head loading around the spine. Not the back hip. Notice the shoulders counter rotate against the belly button.. upper against the middle. they all do it, some don’t do it early enough imo. Just compare the Yelich vids. No running start in the top gif.. meaning, there’s slack or drag. Bottom has the middle turning w the bat.
Dont want to derail, but just looking for what your definition of the 'running start' is. thanks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Dont want to derail, but just looking for what your definition of the 'running start' is. thanks.

I think it pertains FB. Hips then hands some say. Others say the barrel blurring early. And there are descriptions of instant launch.. but imo the reason why those things happen is bc the core is pulling the upper body early from the start and vice versa. So that to me is the running start. notice how the middle is constantly changing directions.

1629208351908.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you use the back hip as your axis, you will be off balance. you must use the spine. Load around/against the spine.

here’s an example of getting ‘back’ but still loading around the spine.

1629209614876.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think it pertains FB. Hips then hands some say. Others say the barrel blurring early. And there are descriptions of instant launch.. but imo the reason why those things happen is bc the core is pulling the upper body early from the start and vice versa. So that to me is the running start. notice how the middle is constantly changing directions.

View attachment 23597
Ok thanks. I think that is confusing, because a running start IMO is 'before' launch. I had always thought it was akin to the 'tip it and rip it' concept. Get the barrel moving early before launch. like a waggle maybe. Your definition to me is more just early launch attributes of the swing.

Appreciate your description, all relevant, just talking about 2 different things with the same words. which is fine, just don't want to get confused. thanks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ok thanks. I think that is confusing, because a running start IMO is 'before' launch. I had always thought it was akin to the 'tip it and rip it' concept. Get the barrel moving early before launch. like a waggle maybe. Your definition to me is more just early launch attributes of the swing.

Appreciate your description, all relevant, just talking about 2 different things with the same words. which is fine, just don't want to get confused. thanks.

yeah. I can see how tip and rip can be considered a ‘running start’. Doesnt do anything mechanically for the swing.. But does add some rhythm and tempo. And could help a player to learn how to slot properly. A true running start is sequential loading to actually give the swing a running start. I am using the term literally. Not cosmetically.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Loading around the spine is why one can load early while moving out. You will see players getting back ‘into’ the rear hip which is just a shift of weight. a good example is Josh D. But the counter rotation and transition all happen around the spine. Look at his head positioning throughout. Stable.

1629295752983.gif

most hitters keep a fairly stable head. which establishes the axis of rotation (load) and balance early. If you are looking for your axis during the forward move you cannot time your load consistently. The middle isn’t controlling the move anymore the legs are.

notice when Yelich loads against his spine, his reach goes away.

Attachments

• 1629296961142.gif
    1629296961142.gif
    9.3 MB · Views: 20
Nov 16, 2017
View attachment 23565 View attachment 23566

Focusing on one thing in this swing, notice back foot scissors a little(not intended). Any guesses on where my focus is on powering this swing? Barrel path would of been much better if sequence was better IMO. However, just trying to hit line drives here
1629330495242.png
1629330609928.png

We may be dealing with a little bit of angles but what I am seeing is a lean back. Not an ATTACK posture. You should feel like your head is over your front leg. Fix this and I think you will be in good shape.

May 12, 2016
Always loved no stride swing to get a feeling for the midsection. However I prefer swing on the right, regardless of more imperfections(attack posture, etc etc), just feels more compact and explosive. Anyway, haven't posted for a while, still lots to learn.

gif (97).gif gif (98).gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802