This comment~After Watching Boys Cal Ripken World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A comment about what pitchers do and how many people in softball are so critical to umpires calling things about what the pitcher is doing. With their feet, whether they hop, whether they drag foot. Feet on or off rubber, pitching lane...

After watching boys Baseball Cal Ripken World Series and what those pitchers are doing...all sorts of everything... starting to side of rubber and mound, landing to the side of the mound, their foot fidgeting around in front of the rubber not actually touching the rubber all sorts of body limbs going different directions. Multiple arm slots.

Clearly softball pitching rules are Ultra stringent compared to the do anything of baseball.

Are there any reasonable reasons for the difference of restrictiveness in softball?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
A comment about what pitchers do and how many people in softball are so critical to umpires calling things about what the pitcher is doing. With their feet, whether they hop, whether they drag foot. Feet on or off rubber, pitching lane...

After watching boys Baseball Cal Ripken World Series and what those pitchers are doing...all sorts of everything... starting to side of rubber and mound, landing to the side of the mound, their foot fidgeting around in front of the rubber not actually touching the rubber all sorts of body limbs going different directions. Multiple arm slots.

Clearly softball pitching rules are Ultra stringent compared to the do anything of baseball.

Are there any reasonable reasons for the difference of restrictiveness in softball?

I umpire both softball and baseball. I umpired district, state and regional Cal Ripken tournament games (including the NE regional final for 12u). I would argue that baseball pitching rules are equally restrictive, just differently so.

That is, there is more freedom in the delivery in baseball, but just as many ways (if not more) to pitch "illegally" (i.e. balk). The baseball rules primarily (but not exclusively) deal with not deceiving the runner(s), vs. softball rules deal with not unfairly disadvantaging the hitter. There are at least 13ish ways to balk (more depending on description specifics).

Since Cal Ripken (11u and 12u) is essentially the kids' first years dealing with runners who can take a lead (and therefore can be deceived), umpires tend to be generally lenient with balk rules, unless they are super obvious. I called two balks in the regional, one start/stop and one fake throw to third.

But, as to why baseball is relatively free on the delivery side of things vs softball...not really sure I have an answer for that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I umpire both softball and baseball. I umpired district, state and regional Cal Ripken tournament games (including the NE regional final for 12u). I would argue that baseball pitching rules are equally restrictive, just differently so.

That is, there is more freedom in the delivery in baseball, but just as many ways (if not more) to pitch "illegally" (i.e. balk). The baseball rules primarily (but not exclusively) deal with not deceiving the runner(s), vs. softball rules deal with not unfairly disadvantaging the hitter. There are at least 13ish ways to balk (more depending on description specifics).

Since Cal Ripken (11u and 12u) is essentially the kids' first years dealing with runners who can take a lead (and therefore can be deceived), umpires tend to be generally lenient with balk rules, unless they are super obvious. I called two balks in the regional, one start/stop and one fake throw to third.
Thank you for your feedback. There was a pitch in the cal ripken series that apparently would have been a Balk if there were Runners on base but was not so because there were no Runners on base. Goes along with that when Runners are on base topic.
Still was interesting that did not affect the perspective/effect of what happens with the batter when the pitcher goobered up.
It wasn't a ball on the batter actually it was a nothing and they just continued with the next sequence of pitches.
🤷‍♀️ as an opinion it seems like a pitcher could do that whenever they wanted with no Runners on base and just booger up the timing of the batter because there's no pitch, no consequence. weird.

But, as to why baseball is relatively free on the delivery side of things vs softball...not really sure I have an answer for that.
...and the mystery continues 😄

Nov 18, 2015
There's also no rule in softball that requires the pitcher to use the same windup every time.

The key limitation is that the wrist must be under the elbow (IIRC) - that obviously limits available arm slots and release points.

May 27, 2022
There's also no rule in softball that requires the pitcher to use the same windup every time.

The key limitation is that the wrist must be under the elbow (IIRC) - that obviously limits available arm slots and release points.

Technically, the wrist cannot be farther from the body than the elbow, but you are right.

May 27, 2013
After watching several years of both softball and baseball, I find that the balk rule in baseball is very restrictive. There are subtle movements a pitcher might do which the average fan, parent, etc, might not pick up on or see. I admit that unless it is blatantly obvious, I have a difficult time seeing it as well. You’ll also hear parents in the stand yelling, “That’s a balk!!!” all the time, even though they might not have a clue. An undisciplined pitcher, especially at the younger ages, can easily be duped into balking by the baserunners.

Jun 8, 2016
An undisciplined pitcher, especially at the younger ages, can easily be duped into balking by the baserunners.
Begin rant

I find it silly that runners are allowed to take leads at anything below 13U. Young pitchers should be learning how to pitch not worrying about keeping runners close/picking them off. From an offensive perspective, learning how to take a proper lead (and secondary lead, etc) is not a hard skill to learn. Learning how to pitch from the stretch, etc. can wait till you are on the big field. This only started with the advent of travel ball

End rant

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
🤷‍♀️ as an opinion it seems like a pitcher could do that whenever they wanted with no Runners on base and just booger up the timing of the batter because there's no pitch, no consequence. weird.

With the quick pitch rule (a type of “balk” listed in the link I posted) - a batter would be credited a “ball” if there are no baserunners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28