Things College Softball Announcers Can Quit Saying 2022 Edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
So by now most of us have watched some televised softball. What things can college announcers quit saying? What are you tired of hearing? What do you really like?

For me: I never, ever have to hear any version of pitchers “issuing free passes”.

I could not care less what position any player was in any Super Ranking Of Softball Players.

I wish Beth Mowins would not do that wierd voice.

I really like to listen to former Alabama player Sydney Littlejohn.

Below is the link to the 2018 version of this post. The heavy snark there is truly inspirational.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I haven’t heard her call a game since Athletes Unlimited in Summer 2021, but I think Danielle Lawrie is really good at color commentary.

Feb 15, 2017
So by now most of us have watched some televised softball. What things can college announcers quit saying? What are you tired of hearing? What do you really like?

For me: I never, ever have to hear any version of pitchers “issuing free passes”.

I could not care less what position any player was in any Super Ranking Of Softball Players.

I wish Beth Mowins would not do that wierd voice.

I really like to listen to former Alabama player Sydney Littlejohn.

Below is the link to the 2018 version of this post. The heavy snark there is truly inspirational.

Momma likes a close game

-Beth Mowins

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My peeve isn't so much what they say, but what they can't tell me because they're not there. When the network does their lead-in, if they show both announcers split screen, with their generic network backdrop, they probably are not on site. They're sitting in their basement calling what they see on the same screen I'm looking at. I don't need someone to tell me what I'm looking at. I want someone to include some of the things going on outside the camera view for a more complete picture. I'm sure networks will stick with it for a lot of games by the travel cost savings they're seeing, and fewer people can call more games. Thanks, Covid (he says sarcastically).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks, Covid (he says sarcastically).
Not Covid - it is cost. They are doing 2,000 games and they need announcers to call lots of games per day. Some of these commentators are doing 3-4 games from the studio. They are also using a lot of local camera crews at games especially the ones on ESPN+

Michelle Smith I believe gave the old 'tie goes to the runner' myth last game I watched. That just isn't true. And she is still saying 'late break on that pitch' which is clearly BS.

Also they can stop pretending that the pitch speeds that are showing on most games are right.

Aug 9, 2021
That old thread should be fun to read through...

Not sure who said it, but I've heard this multiple times:

"She throws 60 (65, 70, whatever), but has been trying to develop an off speed pitch to mix in."

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't need someone to tell me what I'm looking at. I want someone to include some of the things going on outside the camera view for a more complete picture.

FWIW, this is the opposite of how broadcasters are trained to call a game. They're trained to call only what's on the screen because talking about something off screen is confusing to viewers. That's why they all have monitors in front of them even if they're sitting 3 feet from the court at a basketball game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28