There is hope for the Short players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This picture showed up on my facebook feed from 8 years ago. I took this pic because the batter is 4"10" and the Catcher is 6'0"(who later became DD's catcher/hitting coach) The batter was the starting 3B for USF vs UH. I actually was able to make small talk with this players mom who flew all the way from Tampa. Some coaches have their prejudices and cannot see past the short stature, but other coaches can tell if you are a baller regardless of size. Oh and Ken Eriksen coached the USA National team. Sara Nevins was pitching for USF this game and was throwing GAS!!! Go look at her pitching stats.
View attachment 25370
Excellent post topic! 🏆

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
The 2021 Washington Huskies had 9 players that were 5'4" or shorter including both starting middle infielders, one being Sis Bates.
I never realized she was that short. I love watching her play. I also love watching the pitcher and catcher from Oklahoma and the catcher from UCLA and Florida State. Their names escape me though.

Dec 21, 2012
For every nice story like these there is 100s of stories about high school coaches that play girls based on body type/size etc. My 5'2" freshman daughter pitched a no hitter in her only Varsity start. She also pitched virtually every inning on the JV team that year, I believe they were 9-1. The head coach retired after that season, the coach that was brought in for the next season never pitched her one game based on her size/body type. He also told other players on her team they would not be playing the positions they have played their entire softball career (almost all were travel ball players) based on body type. My daughter wound up quitting softball that year and has never played another game since. Coach was fired after that season but my DD refused to play again. She fine with her decision...I had withdrawals for a while but an now fine.

Mar 10, 2020
For every nice story like these there is 100s of stories about high school coaches that play girls based on body type/size etc. My 5'2" freshman daughter pitched a no hitter in her only Varsity start. She also pitched virtually every inning on the JV team that year, I believe they were 9-1. The head coach retired after that season, the coach that was brought in for the next season never pitched her one game based on her size/body type. He also told other players on her team they would not be playing the positions they have played their entire softball career (almost all were travel ball players) based on body type. My daughter wound up quitting softball that year and has never played another game since. Coach was fired after that season but my DD refused to play again. She fine with her decision...I had withdrawals for a while but an now fine.
Hard time believing that was the coach's based on body type reason. That would be hot water if a coach said that. Particularly in high school.

Nov 18, 2013

My experience is for every parent that claims their kid didn’t get a chance due to their size there’s just as many who were actually overlooked for their ability. There’s far too many college players 5’6” and below to believe short players don’t have a chance.

DD happens to be tall, but there were plenty of coaches that didn’t want her or didn’t want her to pitch. Some said she was too tall, some too skinny, most gave no indication why. They simply weren’t interested. We can listen to ignorant coaches or use it as fuel to stoke their passion.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
College coaches seem to recruit their preferred body type, swagger, hair color, faith based, etc. Seems one dimensional, while other coaches recruit all types. DD is 5'10" but VERY thin, a late bloomer if you will. Much like myself. She has finally filled in. I often wonder if she was an early bloomer like many of her peers in HS, would more coaches have been interested. Of course, the tall pitcher is gonna immediately get more attention at a camp than a shorter pitcher that is more accomplished. The taller ones may pass they eye test at first glance.

There are many kids that get over recruited, and when they get on campus they get exposed. When I look at their college stats, I can see it. 14 AB's 11K's. And the dad isn't happy his DD isn't playing more. How about the kid that goes to a P5 and gets 3 AB's in two years and then transfers.

Lots of players who are short that can ball out. If a certain coach passes on those kids, there are plenty others that will snatch them up. Muggsy Bogues had a 14 career in the NBA at only 5'3".

Jun 8, 2016
Lots of players who are short that can ball out. If a certain coach passes on those kids, there are plenty others that will snatch them up. Muggsy Bogues had a 14 career in the NBA at only 5'3".
Mugsy Bogues also had a 44" vertical..That helps lol.

Cannot control your height, no use worrying about it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Mugsy Bogues also had a 44" vertical..That helps lol.

Cannot control your height, no use worrying about it.
Yes, but you can work on your weight, strength, explosiveness, attitude and effort. And yes, some kids are born with it and others not so much.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, but you can work on your weight, strength, explosiveness, attitude and effort. And yes, some kids are born with it and others not so much.
Right, control what you can control. So why the thread? Do people really need to be told this? Unless you think these supposed biased college coaches are reading it and will see the error in their ways..:)

Reminds me of the OF are important too threads..no sh*& :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse