The topic of Framing & Receiving pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The question I have for the umpires here is whether or not they feel the old-school external chest protector was any better than the ones they wear today. Maybe you've never worn one, but I always felt the baseball umpires of the 70s could position themselves better because they weren't as worried about getting plunked with that big thing protecting them.
The ones today are 1000% better. Those old external protectors suck so much.

Not even a contest.
Lighter, move better, easier to get in position (both for pitches and when the ball is in play and I have NEVER been hurt if it I get in the protector so it provides plenty of protection against even there fastest of pitches or foul balls.

Honestly you rarely get hit in the chest protector. If you do, you mostly get hit in the shoulders - which are generally protected with foam and plastic

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Found this article but it wouldn't let me post the link without wanting a subscription...
Screenshot_20221114-115703_Chrome.jpg
Article talked about the weight was cumbersome and umpires would not get in the best position low enough because of its girth.

May 29, 2015
Well, that took an unexpected turn ... 😋

I have one of those. I kept threatening to break it out while working in the Mississippi heat, but I never did. I did used one back when I was 14-15 and calling local 14u girls softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802