The topic of Framing & Receiving pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To the discussion of mechanics and words~
Sometimes Catchers are just receiving pitches that are coming straight towards us over the plate.
However other times we are receiving pitches that can use the assistance of Framing. Pitches on the edges and inches outside of the zone.
I do teach 'Framing' and use that word.
Also like to say
'Cut the pitch off, and Shave it'
Subtle wrist work!
(That is NOT arm pulling pitches.)

Here is my perspective on the topic
Of mechanics and words.

Screenshot_20221113-070831_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221113-070840_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Chip Baker from Florida State Baseball years ago would always talk about beating the ball to it's spot and cut it like a knife with your index finger. If you do that your hand will naturally move back towards the plate. I love watching kids frame this way. Not taught like this around my area anymore for some reason.

May 29, 2015
Don't make me do it ... ;)

sell-trading.gif

Frames do not make grandma look like a bikini model. Frames highlight the image that is contained within.

Framing is the art of giving the umpire the view that is needed to see the pitch. It includes the catcher's set up and how the catcher moves.

Selling is the art of performing alchemy and turning a ball into a strike. It involves moving the glove back towards the strike zone.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Visual Impressions with Joe DiMaggio (no, not that Joe DiMaggio) is a photography vlog that tried to capture an image with all nine fielders and the batter in view. They did this by mounting a GoPro on the plate umpire. The video that was produced makes for a good study in framing. (Skip to about 2:10.)

While the view is not perfect (the camera is several inches higher than the umpire's eyes), it gives us a good glimpse into the catcher's movements and how the catcher leaves "the slot" (or where the umpire is at) as open as possible. Notice he is not standing up in front of the umpire, not jumping around unnecessarily, not hopping closer to the plate (which can entirely block the umpire's view of the plate), and trying not to get his glove in front of the umpire's face.

Framing is as much on the umpire as it is the catcher. The umpire needs to set a proper frame for herself or himself in the first place. After that, the catcher has a job to do. While the catcher does not know what the umpire is seeing, a really good catcher who learns proper framing is going to be the rock star the umpire loves.

On the flip side, try this video and tell me what you see ...

Again, mounted cameras are hard to judge as they are NOT exactly what the umpire is seeing. However, I see an umpire who is setting a very tight frame and a catcher who is tearing that frame apart. Where was pitch #3? (Yes, it looked like a strike coming in, but where was it?)

Tangent: Pitch #4 on the left handed batter just makes me cringe.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Visual Impressions with Joe DiMaggio (no, not that Joe DiMaggio) is a photography vlog that tried to capture an image with all nine fielders and the batter in view. They did this by mounting a GoPro on the plate umpire. The video that was produced makes for a good study in framing. (Skip to about 2:10.)

While the view is not perfect (the camera is several inches higher than the umpire's eyes), it gives us a good glimpse into the catcher's movements and how the catcher leaves "the slot" (or where the umpire is at) as open as possible. Notice he is not standing up in front of the umpire, not jumping around unnecessarily, not hopping closer to the plate (which can entirely block the umpire's view of the plate), and trying not to get his glove in front of the umpire's face.

Framing is as much on the umpire as it is the catcher. The umpire needs to set a proper frame for herself or himself in the first place. After that, the catcher has a job to do. While the catcher does not know what the umpire is seeing, a really good catcher who learns proper framing is going to be the rock star the umpire loves.

On the flip side, try this video and tell me what you see ...

Again, mounted cameras are hard to judge as they are NOT exactly what the umpire is seeing. However, I see an umpire who is setting a very tight frame and a catcher who is tearing that frame apart. Where was pitch #3? (Yes, it looked like a strike coming in, but where was it?)

Tangent: Pitch #4 on the left handed batter just makes me cringe.

Excellent post!
Wish there could be more video like this where people can actually see what the Catcher and the Umpire experience.

Jul 27, 2021
Framing and good catching is essential. Got to get those strikes and outs.

Its funny to see umps say that the catcher doesn't influence them and the very next statement is HOW the catcher influences them. Umps on DFP have said framing works and these situations equal automatic balls (a palm up catch, catcher sets up on the river, catcher moves to much, standing, catcher blocks their view......)

Second video, first pitch is close to front corner, could go either way. Had a softball ump last week that would give any strike on the edges (our best pitcher that only paints the corners wasn't gettting Ks)

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Essential 👍

Its funny to see umps say that the catcher doesn't influence them and the very next statement is HOW the catcher influences them.
That is FUNNY !!!🥳
There's got to be a few that have checked in hearing themselves say that and realize oops.

May 29, 2015

Its funny to see umps say that the catcher doesn't influence them and the very next statement is HOW the catcher influences them. Umps on DFP have said framing works and these situations equal automatic balls (a palm up catch, catcher sets up on the river, catcher moves to much, standing, catcher blocks their view......)

Second video, first pitch is close to front corner, could go either way. Had a softball ump last week that would give any strike on the edges (our best pitcher that only paints the corners wasn't gettting Ks)

Check ourselves indeed ... the catcher shouldn't influence the call. The call should be registered when the ball reaches the plate. Proper timing teaches us to pause, "verify it mentally" and then make the verbal call/signal. This, IMO, adds to the impression the catcher is influencing the call.

There is a difference between influencing and totally changing/blocking what the umpire sees. The former is selling, the latter is framing.

That said, there are umpires who do not make the call at the plate. Another thing we are taught is to track the ball all the way to a catcher's mitt. I debate this a bit, because why do I care what the ball does after it crosses the plate. The analogy I use is the difference between "snapshotting" the strike versus "recreating" the strike. I should snapshot it at the plate. Many umpires try to "Eagle Eye" it (if you are familiar with the ball tracking technology used in tennis). That means they are considering the path of the ball with its start and stop points.

I admit there are times I will catch myself watching the ball travel past the plate if the catcher is sitting too far back. "Wow, I watched that for a long time and look how far out it is." My mind starts to play the recreation game and I know I need to refocus back to "where it was."

Who can a catcher sell better? Obviously the umpire who is recreating the path in his or her head.

Another thing that makes me cringe is the umpire who agrees with a coach who says it can't be a strike if the catcher mis-handles it or if it hits the ground before the catcher. That already tells me you are not calling the strike zone (actual or adjusted). If that was true, there would be no such thing as an uncaught ("dropped") third strike and no need for that rule. The rule on what a strike is has NO mention ANYWHERE about what a catcher does.

As for the umpire you mention, sometimes we don't know if the umpire is calling an adjusted zone (a debate we have had in another thread) or is just getting a bad look. I try to let coaches know (especially at younger levels) if a catcher is causing problems by bouncing around or setting up poorly. I also let them know when their catcher is doing a great job and letting me get a good look at the ball. I am not blaming the catcher. I am giving the coach feedback to work with in the future.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The question I have for the umpires here is whether or not they feel the old-school external chest protector was any better than the ones they wear today. Maybe you've never worn one, but I always felt the baseball umpires of the 70s could position themselves better because they weren't as worried about getting plunked with that big thing protecting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802