THE Spring Games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Wow Tim_s you are on it!! Clermont worked out great for us this past season with most games at Legends. Our hotel was an easy walk to the fields. I hadn't dug into it deep enough yet to determine dates and locations this year...thank you for the reminder!!

We are in Clermont again (late March), it looks like a number of the teams that we played last year are assigned to Polk County this year. Is it too early to start watching the weather forecasts?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
here's my early 2023 question:

I booked my flights already......found a deal and reserved on a "supplier's choice" rental car, and then I will shop around as it gets closer to see if i can get anything better (doubtful).......i have booked a place in clermont (old resort, cheap) simply because it was central to everything and had a bunch of pools......my youngest will like that part once she realizes she's being dragged to softball every day haha

can you tell i am a teacher and shopping for deals? doing very well so far, honestly....

my question: it appears DDs team may be playing the polk county venues vs legends this year (everything was legends last year)........do i want to leave the centralized orlando/clermont/kissimee area to be closer to the polk county venues, if this is the case, or is a 55 minute drive worth it just to stay central to a little more "civilization" - i can find similar deals price-wise in lakeland/winter haven, but......
I have been putting off booking anything because I am not sure if we are doing Polk or some of the other locations they are planning on using (which is a HUGE mistake for The Spring Games in my mind).

If they are truly playing in Polk County - stay there and drive to other places. There will be delays, and the option to go back to your hotel instead of hanging out around Polk County waiting for rain to clear or your team to play is worth it.

Frankly I hate it there.. true home of 'Florida Man'. Miserable backwoods that I am hoping to avoid the rest of my life.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have been putting off booking anything because I am not sure if we are doing Polk or some of the other locations they are planning on using (which is a HUGE mistake for The Spring Games in my mind).

If they are truly playing in Polk County - stay there and drive to other places. There will be delays, and the option to go back to your hotel instead of hanging out around Polk County waiting for rain to clear or your team to play is worth it.

Frankly I hate it there.. true home of 'Florida Man'. Miserable backwoods that I am hoping to avoid the rest of my life.
Palm Beach btw - the fields they have chosen have ZERO chance of standing up to day after day of college games. OKeeheelee Park is known for having massive holes in front of the pitchers mound after 1 game...

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Spreading out these games to other parts of Florida in some ways reminds me of what they did for a while (and still do to an extent) in CO with the annual Sparkler/Fireworks tourney. Everyone was so separated from each other that there simply was no synergy, no softball "vibe" or ambiance in many of the locations. It really took away from the experience. There are many teams that the average fan might want to go watch if they are in the same park (or at least within a reasonable drive) during a break in action for their DD's team. That won't be the case if it's an hour drive each way. Maybe it gives the organizers alternatives if localized bad weather (ie; last year) forces cancellations or delays?

Personally, I like seeing more teams, fans and support at a given venue and would hate to see that further diluted.

Feb 15, 2017
Palm Beach btw - the fields they have chosen have ZERO chance of standing up to day after day of college games. OKeeheelee Park is known for having massive holes in front of the pitchers mound after 1 game...
Why do they never use the USA complex in Plant City? Closer to I-4 and nicer complex than Winter Haven or Auburndale?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why do they never use the USA complex in Plant City? Closer to I-4 and nicer complex than Winter Haven or Auburndale?
Politics for the most part but also access. They need open-close access for the weeks they are using it and then ground crews to support. Getting fields that are not in use already for other purposes is not straight forward.

The people running Spring Games out of Legends are also more lined up with PGF/USSSA.
Honestly, why they don't got o Viera and just play all turf at the USSSA Complex with 16 fields is probably a better question. Solves a lot of issues - delays, availability, in one area etc.

Sep 29, 2020
I hate Viera it's a complete ripoff to people coming to watch games. Example for travel season we played Fri sat and sun. They charged 20 per head each day and Fri we had one game that was 40 bucks for one game.

May 20, 2015
Confirmed she’s in Polk….

Right now we’ve got a room reserved at summer bay in four corners…..got a ludicrous deal on a rental, suppliers choice from enterprise for under 200/week….both younger sisters want to see some of Orlando, so I’ll make the drive to Polk

Subject to change haha

May 20, 2015

I did find a listing of teams and assigned venues on the spring games site, under coaches info

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812