The small moments that shows she really cares

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We are beginning year three of “competitive” softball. DD is 12 going on 16. The first two years she was all in. Any free moment was spent playing catch, taking grounders, hitting off a tee, etc. Always talking about softball. It was front and center.

This off season it took a little more encouragement to get out and practice. Things like phones, TV, and games took priority. Part of growing up. But there was less outward emphasis on softball.

I was getting nervous that maybe DD was starting to move away from softball. Then we started hitting lessons and made big improvements. And made some big steps with her pitching. But still the topic of softball wasn’t so front of mind as it had been.

Then some small things have popped up that let me know the drive is still there....

- Her New Years “goal” was to make the Jr High team. (School ball is big here). We always write our goals out as a family tradition and that was her #1.

- She had a tough practice with her team and was real hard on herself. And was also upset that some of her new teammates weren’t taking practice as serious as she’d like. Two things she has never brought up on her own.

Anyone else have some small moments with their DD that let them know the drive was still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Geez, where to start? Even though my DD loves softball and is crazy competitive, it still came up at least once a year! Just wait until your girl starts missing out on dances, sleepovers, pool parties, and just generally hanging out with her friends cause you have to get up at 4:30am and drive 300 miles to a tournament!

We can't, or shouldn't make our daughters play......but us Dads should strongly encourage it if they have that skill set! I just think being around like minded people and playing a healthy, athletic, focus driven sport tends to help keep kids out of trouble!

Now this might sound like a protective Dad but, my DD is dang pretty, and has a build that turns heads, if it was up to me we would have stayed on a ballfield 24/7 just to keep the dogs =(stupid boys) away!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Geez, where to start? Even though my DD loves softball and is crazy competitive, it still came up at least once a year! Just wait until your girl starts missing out on dances, sleepovers, pool parties, and just generally hanging out with her friends cause you have to get up at 4:30am and drive 300 miles to a tournament!

We can't, or shouldn't make our daughters play......but us Dads should strongly encourage it if they have that skill set! I just think being around like minded people and playing a healthy, athletic, focus driven sport tends to help keep kids out of trouble!

Now this might sound like a protective Dad but, my DD is dang pretty, and has a build that turns heads, if it was up to me we would have stayed on a ballfield 24/7 just to keep the dogs =(stupid boys) away!

We’ve not moved to the 300mi away tournaments yet. Once she finishes up this 12u season we’ll have a talk towards goals and what she wants to do in softball long(ish) term. But she did skip a couple lake days with family/friends for team practices last year. Even the HC was surprised.

She’s naturally skilled, easily coached (mostly), gets along with everyone, hard headed (in both good and bad ways), confident, and has a mind for the game. She loves baseball and would prefer to play it over softball I think.

Being only our third year in I’m still learning what’s “normal”. I think she has a lot of natural talent that I’d like to see develop. So seeing the small things that shows it’s still important to her is big for me.

And don’t get me started on boys. If I can avoid that topic until she’s 30 that’d be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It's been a rough start to the year for DD. Knee pain came back (after taking 7 weeks off and thinking we had fixed it). But, luckily it was growth related and we managed it. Now it's gone. JH ball has been huge for DD. She's surrounded by girls who are mostly as good or better than her. And it's created a new drive to work. We were at DS hockey game yesterday and DD asked if she could practice pitching when we got home. Normally, it would be getting home and she sticks the phone in her face. It was cold, grass was wet (stormed earlier), and getting dark. She didn't care. "Dad, stop complaining".

She's even mentioned she is watching a bunch of the elite 12u, 14u, etc. games on Youtube. She NEVER watches softball on TV. "Dad, kids my age are throwing 60". Yup. Let's get to work. Kids are funny.

May 20, 2015
i love the disappointment in teammates part - it has taken DD#1 quite a few years to realize not everyone holds themselves to the same standards she does; she has learned to temper her feelings and how to become a leader in these situations, but we certainly have had a few moments over the years where she was, um, a little rough on some teammates at times.....she was never really wrong, just applied herself and her beliefs and standards to other girls without fully considering their experiences and wants from softball.......she's grown up and into a leader now that she gets the bigger picture

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478