The Saga of Rebuilding a School Program: A parent-coach's journal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
So last night, DD1 (the junior) mentions that she ran into her coach when she was killing time at the middle school and he asked if she was playing. I had already told him she wasn't, but in the early days of her backing out I told him to work on her when he saw her. I had given up on that plan, though, because her plate has truly been full. But all he did was ask, and she said maybe. She said he told her if she doesn't play, that he'd like to have her there in the dugout at games as a manager. I agree because if nothing else, she's a calming force for her high-strung little sister.

So I said "wait. what does 'maybe' mean?"

And she's like "I miss it. I'm feeling like 50/50 now. I don't want to just give up when I've been playing since 6th grade."

From the other room, my wife yells "are you kidding me? I told you not to do this. Now you haven't been practicing all this time and plan on just showing up?"

She did, in-fact, say that. And DD1 has not, in-fact, spent much time at the field with us as we worked twice a week all summer and fall. Wife is is 100% justified in her feelings.

HOWEVER...it's still early enough for her to shake off the defensive rust and get some extra hitting work in. She'll also need to pick back up on the shoulder PT and relearn her throwing pattern. She compensated for the swimmer's shoulder for so long that she pushes the ball.

I kinda feel for her because I know how much it sucked to sit in the dugout with the bad knee all season, and how that can affect the desire to play again.

HS could REALLY use her. 2B position is fully open now and there really isn't anyone I can think of that can step right into it with the skills and knowledge needed. That's the position she's always played, though. The couple girls I'd thought of for the 2B slot have OF experience and are needed there. DD1 really can play anywhere in the infield for the most part, and I could have her a very competent outfielder with a few weeks of working on tracking the ball if needed.

The hitting is rough, though. She's not lacking at all in athletic ability or really even timing. She's just got some habits that have never really been addressed enough to relearn. We can get on that one, though. She's a quick study.

DD2 and I have still been working. Wednesday we worked with the catcher and she threw strike after strike. It's the best I've ever seen from her and I'm excited to know she's at this point with 10 weeks remaining until spring practices start. Her hitting has also improved a lot. She goes to all the MS hitting sessions, and has been working on the tee by herself some. She's determined to show up as a HS player and not lay an egg.

We're still trying to get this hip thing worked out. I've hit up some of the instructors from the Pauly certification group and am going to work with her this evening on her front side resistance. They seem to think it'll help her get the hip around and keep the torso turned where it should be. I really think if we can get this consistent she'll not only be more accurate, but may be able to get more arm whip and pick up a few mph.

I got myself a pocket radar for Christmas and hope to see it in the mail in the next couple days. I would really like to get some good data to work from. The last time she was clocked on a full pitch was midsummer and she was at 45. The instructor we visited a couple months ago had his running and she threw 47 from K. I'm very confident she's cleared 50 now, which was our goal. I know 50 at 14 years old is nothing amazing, but it was 42 in May. The big thing is that now the pitches are coming in flat. She's able to locate a bit as well, which was goal #2. I don't know if we'll get to goal #3, a change-up, before Feb 15th, but that's something we can work on between Feb 15th and the first games in late March.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Wednesday, DD2 and I headed over to our county indoor facility for a bit of work with her catcher. After they warmed up, we worked on front side resistance. I had her throwing full drag from the K and trying hard to get her brain to focus on that leg plant. It took a bunch of tries, but it started to come together. I had her move to flat ground and do some more and they eventually got pretty good so I turned her loose. About 1 in 3 pitches were pretty good as far as posture.

That's really a major improvement. I could tell she was really trying, and after 15 or so the ball started to get consistent in the zone. The pitches were flat and the strikes were plentiful. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. But, the brain is now in the right zone and building new patterns. If we can get this to sink in over the next couple weeks we may be able to focus more on getting whip. Right now it's just rotation and she's anchoring to the hip a little--she knows how important it is to get the arm in the same spot all the time.

The Pocket Radar had also arrived, so I took some readings. I was expecting to see 50, but I've read many times that the eyeball radar can be very inaccurate. So, I wasn't super surprised to see her throw a max of 46 with a very consistent 44/45 for just about every other pitch. I'm very ok with this because the accuracy is really coming along. Can we hit a legit 50 by the time games start? I'm still pretty confident it's possible if she can get this posture dialed in and consistent.

Between the drills (ones that included push-off/drive) and the full pitches, I'd say she got in something like 80 reps. We're basically going until she's pretty exhausted from now on. Despite the fatigue, the accuracy and speed didn't suffer. I'd like to get her number up to 100 in a session for several weeks before it's time to do the real thing. Factoring in innings and defensive sequences, etc, I think that will get her 150+ good quality game pitches.

Simply expecting her to perform well enough to throw a complete game is a goal in itself, but I think we're still where we need to be in the time table.

Oct 31, 2021
I think you can get her to 50 by season. My daughter added 5mph with 30 days of focus. She worked every day on mechanics and has started to see a trainer to build strength and explosiveness. I was nervous that if she worked that hard and got no results it might deflate her enthusiasm. But yesterday pitching lesson after the month of focus was time to test. I was so excited. She hit that first pitch at +4 and managed to get +5 before we stopped with the radar. Now she totally is excited to keep working hard. She has a longer term goal that is very close so before the spring we might have to have a session to decide on some new goals. It is fun to see hard work pay off for your kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2022
I think you can get her to 50 by season. My daughter added 5mph with 30 days of focus. She worked every day on mechanics and has started to see a trainer to build strength and explosiveness. I was nervous that if she worked that hard and got no results it might deflate her enthusiasm. But yesterday pitching lesson after the month of focus was time to test. I was so excited. She hit that first pitch at +4 and managed to get +5 before we stopped with the radar. Now she totally is excited to keep working hard. She has a longer term goal that is very close so before the spring we might have to have a session to decide on some new goals. It is fun to see hard work pay off for your kids!

I think so too. She made a lot of progress on front side resistance last night. I was pumped when I went back to watch the video. I didn't have the radar but I probably won't clock her again for at least a few weeks. Now that the FSR is falling into place and the hip is coming around we need to work on her body position. We'll just keep working one step at a time!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
I think so too. She made a lot of progress on front side resistance last night. I was pumped when I went back to watch the video. I didn't have the radar but I probably won't clock her again for at least a few weeks. Now that the FSR is falling into place and the hip is coming around we need to work on her body position. We'll just keep working one step at a time!

Funny you talk about front side resistance because that is what my daughter needed to address. She did reps every day in a mirror. I taught her what to look for and gave her some marks on the floor she needed to hit. The reps even without the ball were very important.

Jan 25, 2022
Funny you talk about front side resistance because that is what my daughter needed to address. She did reps every day in a mirror. I taught her what to look for and gave her some marks on the floor she needed to hit. The reps even without the ball were very important.

It drives me crazy because she always gets it unless she has to throw. She can even get it while holding the ball as long as she isn't expected to throw it. I'm very optimistic after this last session. Now she can feel when it's right.

Getting her to practice in her room is a lost cause. Other than the weightlifting, getting her to do much practice on her own is almost a lost cause. She doesnt complain very often when I suggest we get some work in, and works hard. She's usually enthusiastic. Just isn't the type to do that stuff on her own. I'm learning to do the best with what she is. Could be a whole different story once the HS season starts, or in the coming years. I think a little success will push her harder.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Small update.

I gave DD1 a cutoff date on her decision about playing this season and she decided to stick with her original plan to not play. Said she take the coach up on his offer to be "team mom." She likes that kind of stuff anyway.

DD2 (not news if you read the past two comments) made some significant progress with her front side resistance on Wednesday. We've been sporadic getting into the practice facility because of some issues with scheduling there, so we're doing our best. I was pretty excited to see her posture at release. I would post before and after pics, but...

Jan 25, 2022
Been in a holding pattern with DD2 because of some warts on her drive foot. By the time she even mentioned them they were starting to bother her. I've had two appointments offered two weeks from now so I'm trying to get a short notice on Tuesday and see if they can be frozen off.

We're gonna get back to work tonight or tomorrow regardless, just throwing from K and see if we can come up with a way to get front side resistance training worked into it. There are four warts, going across, out to the side of the ball of the foot so it's hard to keep the weight off of it. We'll come up with something. If nothing else we'll figure out a way to work on shoulder position at release.

When life gives you lemons, amiright?

Jan 25, 2022
Did our Wednesday workout from the K. Rick Pauly's training had mentioned that 90% of top speed can be achieved from a standing position. I got the radar out and sure enough...90%.

Friday the warts were frozen. The PA said "we can freeze them, or give you a script for stuff you can put on them that'll take care of them in four weeks or so. DD2 said "Freeze 'em. I need them gone, and my sister said it didn't hurt."

I didn't say anything to the contrary, but DD1 for the most part has a high pain tolerance. So, DD2 wasn't thrilled when they got to the 3rd wart. She toughed it out, though, and things are healing fairly quickly. They expect to have to do at least one more treatment, but DD1 didn't need another so we're holding out hope. Her next appointment isnt for three weeks, so maybe it'll heal up enough that she can get some drive work in. We shall see.

Jan 25, 2022
Two of the four warts appear to have died off. Two others blistered up but it's pretty obvious they aren't going down without a fight. The next appointment is on the 27th. Spring practices start on 2/15 so we're losing a lot of time for pitching prep.

We did our K work a few nights ago and it was pretty sketch for a bit, then settled down after I had her switch to standing windmills. She wanted to throw some full pitches so she threw 20 or so and they weren't half bad. I'm gonna have to come up with a plan to replicate the energy exertion of full pitches. Hard leg drive without putting pressure on that foot. I also don't want her trying to do things and having to favor the foot and causing her to develop bad patterns. I think a bit of that started the same night when she took some swings off the machine.

I'm thinking daily squats, and I have a rowing machine where she could do hard pulls and keep the load on the heels. It'd give her that full body movement without interfering with her normal pitching mechanics.

As we wrapped up throwing, she sent one low and inside that I knew would hit the turf. I lined up the glove but when it hit, the spin shot it right into my tibia. My god, the pain was immense. I dramatically fell out of my chair and tried not to cry...lol. I have shin guards but about half the time I forget them. I've still got lumps on my right shin that have been there for months, and this hit to the left side was much harder. I honestly was a little apprehensive thinking it could have even cracked the bone. I envisioned all those MMA videos where a guy snaps it doing a kick that hits the other guy's tibia. WHAM. Ugh.

I can only figure that one day if someone does an autopsy on me or my body is donated to science, that they'll see all the calcium deposits and scar tissue on my legs and say "This man was a dedicated father. The damage indicates that he was a bucket dad. A stupid one no doubt, but a bucket dad nonetheless."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2