The post-game speech

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
After a pretty awful finish to a game a week ago, I decided I was done with the post-game speeches. I've never found they have much value, and without them, everybody gets to go home sooner. I actually talked with my high school girls about it, and I think they agree that the speeches aren't very useful (maybe I'm just bad at them).

If we lost, the players know why we lost. Do I need to immediately point out that we made a bunch of errors? If we won, maybe a little bit more of a chat to point out some good games/good plays, but do we really need to sit there for 15 minutes to go over a random regular season win?

This isn't football. This is a sport where we play a lot of games, sometimes many days in a row, and even good teams have bad games. I made a point this year (during the HS season) of trying to reduce the importance of each individual game. Every game is not all or nothing. Losing a game on some random Tuesday afternoon isn't going to alter the entire course of our season, so why act like it will? A post-game speech just makes everything feel so heavy, and while there are certain moments where they might need an immediate team meeting, for most games? I just don't see how it's necessary. I'll make notes about the game after the fact and bring those thoughts to the next practice, you know, the place where we can actually do something to improve.

For the past couple games (one win, one loss), it's been pretty great. A quick couple lines, reminders about the next practice/game, letting the previous belt holder pass it on to the next person, and we're out.

Someone convince me the post-game speech is actually important.
Any post game speech (or any speech, for that matter) that takes longer than 3 minutes is worthless. Players are only thinking about going home, eating, or whatever, and are not paying attention. If there is anything worth saying, it's best to leave it for practice. Long post game speeches might be the least important thing for a coach to do.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I 100% agree. I think the head coach is a jerk and a bully but my grandson has been raised right(scared mom and dad will beat his backside) so he tells them everything the coaches say. I will say that I completely trust the other coaches, it's just the head coach/org. leader that makes me shake my head at the things he does and says.
Any coach that doesn't want parents to know everything he/she tells the players is a bad coach. A good coach is confident that what is being said and done is in the best interests of the players and should want the parents to know everything so they can reinforce what the coach is saying, or so they can ask questions and understand the coach's methods (or go elsewhere when they can't agree).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Short, positive, and constructive. Throw out some deserved compliments. If you're playing another game that day, and there's something from the last game that is useful to discuss, then do it.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Short, positive, and constructive. Throw out some deserved compliments. If you're playing another game that day, and there's something from the last game that is useful to discuss, then do it.
The problem with too many coaches is that they don't know what is useful and what is not, so they talk about everything under the sun. If your list of useful items is longer than 3 items, it's too long. If you talk about any of those items for more than 2 minutes, you are taking too long. Post game speeches have little value beyond, as you said, throwing out a few compliments, and telling the players the time and place of the next game/practice.

Feb 15, 2017
I remember DD's first year at 12u playing against thier local rivalry team and promising the girls I'd buy them all shakes at the end of the day if they won. They won but lost the second game. After the second game the coach went on a tirade and said he was having open tryouts next week because six of the girls weren't playing well enough and would be cut. I asked my wife so which six girls get shakes and which six girls don't?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I agree but what about pre-game talks?
Pre-game talks are also worthless if they take more than a minute or two. At most, after giving the lineup, remind them of a couple of things that have been worked on in practice. If you are trying to teach in pre or post game speeches, you are wasting everyone's time. And motivational speeches last about as long as it takes for the players to take their positions on the field, regardless of what you see in the movies. I've sat through the speeches of high priced motivational speakers in my work and sports career and their messages, while entertaining, don't last much longer than that for 99% of the audience. No reason to think that a youth sports coach can do any better.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I remember DD's first year at 12u playing against thier local rivalry team and promising the girls I'd buy them all shakes at the end of the day if they won. They won but lost the second game. After the second game the coach went on a tirade and said he was having open tryouts next week because six of the girls weren't playing well enough and would be cut. I asked my wife so which six girls get shakes abs which six girls don't?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
That makes sense. If you are incapable of coaching your team, try to recruit your way to mediocrity. All 12 girls should find a new place to play if that is the way it's going to work.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ed Serdar used to say, "Why have a post-game speech? The whole teams knows what happened. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. Too bad, too bad. Tell them you'll see them next game/practice/season, and then leave."

I remember when my DD first year in college. My DD had pitched (and lost) the final game at the NJCAA world series. I walked up to the outfield fence. Her coaches were giving long winded post-game speech. My DD had her head down looking at the grass. She saw me walk over. She raised her head, grinned, winked at me, and then went back to staring at the grass.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478