The Makers of Gorilla Gold Grip Enhancer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2012
Over the past few years, fastpitch has grown into one of our top sports, only surpassed by golf and racquet sports. We are often contacted regularly to check on our accreditations in various organizations. I thought I'd join the community to help answer any specific questions regarding rules and use. Thus far, we are approved for pitchers to use on the mound by the NCAA, ASA, USSSA, NFHS, ISC, and ISF.

Let me know if we can help.

Tom Donahoe
gorillagold.com

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Just a comment. This is a great product, and can help pitcher a bunch, why don’t you advertise and push the product more? i know so many pitchers that were very thankful to discover your product.

Mar 22, 2021
I purchased a couple for my DD for damp / wet days. Can a pitcher bring it to the mound in their back pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I purchased a couple for my DD for damp / wet days. Can a pitcher bring it to the mound in their back pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only speak to experience with ASA, USSSA, and NFHS, but yes they can. Just be ready to explain it because the lack of marketing that is done around this product. Many an umpire has no idea what it is.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I always felt like I couldn’t explain it to team coaches or umpires.

I looked at the rules and was afraid that since it wasn’t spelled out in black and white I would get my kid labeled a cheater.

It is an awesome product btw.

That’s my frustration with their marketing. I’ve used it pitching and I love it. It’s incredible. And for players who don’t like using batting gloves….this works awesome for handle grip (they offer a “golf” version for the same reason).

And, despite the vagueness, is legal (within the aforementioned organizations). But they do a horrible job helping promote that for whatever reason. So, to your point, can be a potential headache in game.

I also don’t know the patent status of the design so I’m not sure if there’s fear on spelling out how it works? DD’s PC explained it to us that it pulls dirt/grease off the fingers leaving the tacky feeling. But I don’t know if that’s how it truly works.

Aug 18, 2018
My DD uses this and loves it. For reference, not approved in little league (found out hard way on that and that's on me). My approach has been to discuss with coach her use of the product, explain it's approval status, we do USSSA/USA sanctioned events and he reached out to the higher ups in the sanctioning bodies and verified.
Her PC who is well known/regarded in the area recommend it and she loves it.
As others stated, not all officials are up on it and can create headaches, but that's why I'm up front with HC so he is prepped in that event.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

h8weakness

Bucket Dad
Jan 9, 2019
Mishawaka, IN
Good morning Tom,
I love that you have reached out to answer questions.
My question is:
Do you have any official documentation from these organizations stating that gorilla gold is legal.
I'd love to have something to show the umpire instead of my daughter trying to explain on the mound what it is.

thanks in advance
Over the past few years, fastpitch has grown into one of our top sports, only surpassed by golf and racquet sports. We are often contacted regularly to check on our accreditations in various organizations. I thought I'd join the community to help answer any specific questions regarding rules and use. Thus far, we are approved for pitchers to use on the mound by the NCAA, ASA, USSSA, NFHS, ISC, and ISF.

Let me know if we can help.

Tom Donahoe
gorillagold.com

Nov 18, 2015
It used to be specifically mentioned in the USSSA rules (2015 edition?) - when it was removed, the language now used in its place makes it hard to argue that it's still legal: "No tacky or sticky substances can be used as a substitute for a powdered drying agent." The rules also allow for use of "an approved drying agent", but I've never seen a list of what's been approved.

While at a recent USSSA tournament at the USSSA HQ in FL, I asked one of the USSSA representatives, and her suggestion was to bring it up with the plate umpire before the game. (Not the definitive answer I was hoping for - seems like it would just lead to more confusion as each umpire may rule differently).

Making the "approved drying agent" list available would go a long ways towards avoiding this confusion.

Jan 6, 2018
DD loves it too. Doesn’t use it anymore because she got tired of being told she can’t use it anymore 5 minutes into a game. Oh well. I love it for golf since I don’t wear a glove.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812