The Lead Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
What do y’all want to see the lead elbow do? Work up? When? Why? Leave it alone? Show me some gifs of what y’all like to see. Give me some drills too 😬

Oct 2, 2017
What do y’all want to see the lead elbow do? Work up? When? Why? Leave it alone? Show me some gifs of what y’all like to see. Give me some drills too 😬
I'm currently of the opinion that you simply want to maintain it up off the body. What I don't currently hold to is, that you need to work it up independently. I'm currently of the opinion that it will work up on its own if set properly from the get go. Set the angle which is close to 90deg of the spine angle. Just my .02 Don't know if that is right or wrong.

elbow.JPGelbow 2.JPGelbow 3.JPG

This is more what younger players do IMO The setup orientation is more up and down vs 90deg. I'm thinking that this might be because its more comfortable to them IDK. So when they decide to launch 1 of 2 things happen: they either have to then work it up (Which may not be a problem?) or they leave it down (which causes other issues).

elbow 4.JPG

Watch these hitters and see what you think. It seems to me that they maintain good angles of the lead arm to spine angle. Not that they force it up?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Darn it lost my post.

The elbow is in the same path of the swing plane. The swing path is in the same plane as the posture.

Example one,

giphy.gif

Everything works together. If I make a big adjustment with the hands and the path of the elbow will follow that swing.

Edit: The path of the elbow in the follow through can be different. Sosa finished low. Most teach to finish high.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2