The Kids Aren’t Alright. They’re Exhausted.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
You see it all the time. Kids are at practice/lesson, or in a game, or in a tournament, etc. and they’re just not performing to the level at which they’re capable. “C’mon Erin (or Lily or Leticia)!” parents or coaches yell. “Put some effort in. Quit dogging it and get your rear in gear.” But […]

More...

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Another good article Ken. I do wonder how much the pandemic altered any of the numbers though? Would be interesting to see with newer numbers (the survey was 2020 and likely pre-pandemic).

Additional factors (rather than just focusing on reducing sports and physical activity although I fully agree it can be an issue) that most parents and families should take a more serious look at is diet and screen time. Eat healthier, reduce the sugar intake and reduce the screen time before going to bed. I'd also suggest that the average family is not as effective at time/life management as those who are involved in travel ball/sports.

Ask a teacher which kids are dragging butt in class regularly. Many kids don't have a stable home environment or guidance as to what constitutes good choices. Food deficiencies, anxiety, partying, dating or otherwise unhealthy scenarios all contribute to the problem of fatigue for these kids. Locally, our HS is pushing back there start time by an hour every morning because of "newer" research showing that teens need more sleep than previously believed.

Jun 8, 2016
Locally, our HS is pushing back there start time by an hour every morning because of "newer" research showing that teens need more sleep than previously believed.
In Norman elementary school starts the earliest, followed by MS and then HS. Been that way since I got here in 2006 I think.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
In Norman elementary school starts the earliest, followed by MS and then HS. Been that way since I got here in 2006 I think.
That's been the proposal here, but they're concerned with HS sports starting too late now. Personally, my daughter does better with the later start for school, which we were able to arrange this year. She doesn't have to get up until 7:15 or 8:00 AM depending on the day. It sure beats 6:15 AM. And I'm not complaining, either.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Interesting? Here in CO it's always been the HS starts first followed by MS and then Elementary. Starting next year they're flipping it around so the older ones can sleep in longer. DW is a 3rd grade teacher who already gets up too early, next year will be crazy.

Jan 28, 2017
Worked at a HS that started classes at 6:45 am and got out at 1. On days without games you were home by 5 at least. Loved it personally. The only sport I coached was football so didn't have to worry about games Mon-Thurs. Never thought about it to be honest.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting? Here in CO it's always been the HS starts first followed by MS and then Elementary. Starting next year they're flipping it around so the older ones can sleep in longer. DW is a 3rd grade teacher who already gets up too early, next year will be crazy.
As you said, I think the research (which isn't too new I don't think..) says the way Norman does it is how it should be. The other school districts around here are more like what you have in CO currently.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Our HS bus picked up my girls at 6:50 AM. My younger daughter plays field hockey in the fall, and sometimes has away games more than an hour bus ride away. Because of bus issues, they piggyback the JV/Varsity games, so they might not get back to the school until 9:15 PM. These kids then need to eat dinner, shower, and do homework. Getting up the next day for school at 6:15 AM is tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478