The heat is not good.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It was 105 degrees, last night, when I started a lesson. It is All Star season, so field time, is assigned and you are pretty much tied into the hottest time of the day. Some say "We will be playing when it is this hot." But playing is quite different than 2 hours in the sun. There has to be a happy medium and even if you found a place in the shade, it would help. I think it is time to get creative.

Oct 19, 2009
DD gave 2 hours of lessons yesterday in North GA it was 97 and the humidity was a killer, then she came home and I sat on a bucket and caught her while she practice pitching for an hour. I was wet with sweat when we finished and she was drowned.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Hmph. People in Arizona always tell me "but it's a DRY heat"...

There was a reason why Frank Lloyd Wright spent his summers in Madison and his winters in Tuscon. It is in the 70s today in Madison. OTOH, sometimes it gets to -20 here in the winter.

I once came very close to spending a winter in Madison and a summer in Tuscon...

Jun 12, 2015
I live in Georgia so we get heat and humidity. I like longer practices in the heat because it conditions them for tournaments. We often have 4+ games in a day in this weather. If they don't practice in it they won't hold up well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
DD gave 2 hours of lessons yesterday in North GA it was 97 and the humidity was a killer, then she came home and I sat on a bucket and caught her while she practice pitching for an hour. I was wet with sweat when we finished and she was drowned.

It was a hot as Hades here! I think it was still 91 when we started practice last night at 7:30 pm (NE metro area) - with the humidity it made it hard to breathe...well, at least for me with my "old" lungs!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Wow. We are just barely breaking 90s...it is unusually mild for Houston in June! It is going to be a huge adjustment for the girls when they come back from their travels (Colorado and Reno)...I imagine the heat will catch up by end of July!

Anyway keep those wash cloths in the ice chest for brief cool downs! And keep LOTS of water on hand...and fruit.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just re-read my post. Can't you guys read my mind yet? This was a rec 8u all star team.

Anyway, I am thinking maybe practice 6 girls for one hour and 6 for another.

Oct 19, 2009
I just re-read my post. Can't you guys read my mind yet? This was a rec 8u all star team.

Anyway, I am thinking maybe practice 6 girls for one hour and 6 for another.

A man reading a woman's mind? You are kidding wright? :eek:

Dec 7, 2011
Ya - it is and has been generally cooler her in WI for quite a while. Really nice spring so far and not an immediate jump from Winter to Summer

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD1 caught for DD2 at her pitching lesson yesterday in 113 temp at 4:30 p.m. What is this humidity you speak of???????:rolleyes::cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop