The DI + CS Challenge Begins!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2015
DD just got her fall DI softball practice schedule and told to select her *candidate* fall classes schedule to fit around the practice schedule that is 1 pm - 5 pm SIX days per week (Wed off!) not including the weight room which she was told usually is in the early morning hours (6-7 am).

After many, many hours this weekend wrestling with the school's online automated scheduling app, it concluded there were ZERO possible candidate schedules that included the freshman computer science (cs) courses that would not overlap with the practice schedule. So, she sent the one that only has her 30 mins late to practice Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri. Still waiting for the coach's reply. ;-)

Be advised all those who seek to play DI softball with a *hard-core* science major and honors college classes. ;-)

AND SO IT BEGINS!

Jun 7, 2016
Keep us apprised. I am fascinated to see how much flexibilty your DD has in pursuing her chosen major without negative ramification from coach. My DD definitely felt chill from a couple of coaches when she expressed interest in the Chemistry programs. (She even dropped all mention of a major after feeling passive pushback, and these were D3 programs high LAC)

May 6, 2015
DD1 pretty much stopped looking at D1 schools (had some interest, different sport, but same principles apply), knew she would nto be able to juggle D1 sports commitment along with premed schedule.

pick the school and program you want. there are no multimillion dollar contracts (or even 6 figure contracts) waiting for softball players after college.

Dec 11, 2010
Some D1’s have academic advisors that help make all this work.

Some have tutors to help too.

Some schools have players in very challenging majors, some don’t.

I‘m sure every school is different. Dd#2 gets more help with all this than DD#1 ever did.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Doesn't matter the Division. Still a problem throughout all schools and athletes. Even though athletes might get first dibs, It still hard to manage a class schedule. DD had to do bullpen catching between classes. I remember during her official visit we went to the weight room and the basketball team came filing in after a run at 11am. That's prime time class time.

May 27, 2013
I remember after the SB coach at my D3 school told me being a nursing major would take up too much of my time, I briefly joined the lacrosse team. When I went to the registrar to assist with arranging my classes around the practice times, it just wouldn’t work out where I could keep on schedule to graduate in 4 years. Nursing has a very rigid schedule where certain pre-reqs need to be met before being able to start clinicals. Just didn’t work in my favor, so my future career took priority.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse