The Defenses Responsibility to Right handed hitter/bunters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What are the dfp impressions of the double threat right handed batters who can crush the ball and bunt for a base hit.

*How are you handling/ facilitating your defense?

Screenshot_20220721-153830_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Yes, I talk about her a lot but my dd is a switch-hitter. She is a triple-threat from the left side and can bunt and hit from the right (natural righty). They will typically have her move back to the right side when there are runners in scoring position because she is very good at putting the ball to the OF as a righty. She can do it lefty as well but not quite as far when they need a SAC fly.

Jun 8, 2016
Depends on whether or not anybody teaches the RH hitter how to bunt for a base hit properly..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Acknowledging that there are some people who don't like to see bunting even if it's for a base hit...
it does exhibit that if the batter can beat the defense from the right side and be safe
That either
A. Bunting for a base hit is a viable resource.
Or
B. The defense needs work, because of that bunting is a viable resource.

Absolutely could say just have the batter hit and see what the likelihood of getting on base is with the possibility of a home run squeaked in once in awhile.
But that means that defenses the corners and middles are just going to stay back if nobody bunted they would just stay back and stay as far back as they want because batters would just swing.
So brings the strategy how bunt can be a viable resource.
Makes the defense have to think react communicate and finish the play

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I'm a lot more threatened by someone who can one hop the fence than an occasional bunt. Still it's a good skill to be able to bunt. If 3B is back why not get a hit when you really need a base runner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28