The Decline of Umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2009
As a long time coach and assigner, here’s my 2 cents:
The great majority of umpires are doing their level best, but are subject to the same frailties as the rest of us( pride, bringing a bad day to the ballpark, etc.)
Being an umpire is not for the thin skinned. I can’t think of another job where 1/2 of the people are unhappy no matter what you do.
For most umpires, this isn’t their primary job, but that doesn’t mean they don’t take pride in it.
There is a reason there are less experienced officials at lower levels… The better ones started there , too. As they’ve gotten better, they’ve looked to worked better competition.
The newer umpires at lower levels can look even worse because inexperienced players means games that tend to get messy. Everybody has to go through those growing pains (players, umpires , coaches and parents).
Umpires are aging out and it’s difficult to replace that experience. We try to add new ones, but it’s a slow process. You do your best to place new ones with the experienced ones. Hoping coaches and parents will understand it’s a process.
As a coach, I try to remind myself that overreacting won‘t change the call.
As an assigner , I try to place umpires in a place where they’ll succeed and avoid using people in places where I close my eyes and wince when I’m making out the schedule.

Oct 7, 2021
There is a new trend with sports officials other than the decline in numbers because of parents and COVID.
The decline of knowledge and ability.

In the past (and it is fading fast to the past) that parents were the problem with youth sports. The goal to shame bad parents with signs, teams requiring good conduct contracts and peer pressure has worked. Covid can be blamed a bit for loosing some officials.

But not anymore.

I was interested in softball officiating. Not any more. I use to defend umps at softball games. Not any more. Umps use to be good. Not anymore.

This Fall Ball season has been ridiculous and bad.

Now the sport is just left with what is at the bottom of the ump barrel.

It is OK to demand that sports officials be competent.

Oct 7, 2021
There is much more behind the scenes that parents don't see. Some assignors abuse umpires by working them up to eight (or more) consecutive games. Some organizations have no real training programs for new umpires. Parents are still a major problem. The new generation of american youth that is used to sitting in air conditioned comfort playing video games will never want to officiate. Some organizations jack umpires around on pay. I will be 72 next season and I intend to work games again. Age means nothing.

Mar 10, 2020
There is much more behind the scenes that parents don't see. Some assignors abuse umpires by working them up to eight (or more) consecutive games. Some organizations have no real training programs for new umpires. Parents are still a major problem. The new generation of american youth that is used to sitting in air conditioned comfort playing video games will never want to officiate. Some organizations jack umpires around on pay. I will be 72 next season and I intend to work games again. Age means nothing.
@veteranblue's explanation of umpires retaliating by being lousy.

Apr 20, 2015
There are definitely good umpires out there. In my family my father in law is a hall of fame basketball official, who also does baseball and football. My husband used to do basketball before we had kids and now currently is a state championship football official. They both work to be good. They study rules. They study film of their games and of the teams they are doing that week. They aren't always right but it's not because they aren't trying. My husband plans to pick up softball when our kids are done playing. Putting umpires in a place to succeed and gain confidence is key. Assigners can do a better job of paying attention and protecting young umpires. They know who the problem teams and parents are. You can't always predict a bracket but you can try to make sure a young umpire has a stronger partner. My 2 experienced officials could care less what the crowd and parents say but for a young person it can drive them out. I know because as a young basketball official it drove me out. I had no support and feared for my safety after being screamed at alone in parking lots. I had no mentors. No one helping me. I think assigners play a huge role here in keeping young officials in the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Yes they can. But assignor beg them to work more, or hold other assignments over there head. And a lot of the umpires, are just doing it for the money. Don’t care about the game or the players. Just the money. But softball has become about money anyway.

Oct 4, 2018
I wish we paid them more.

Parents can afford it. They manage to afford all kinds of fees to support their kids' sports. Up the pay, attract more umpires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802