The death of JV Softball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Yes. Varsity has 20 games scheduled and JV has 9 currently.
Plus the league was all moved around to keep teams closer to home due to COVID.
So we are playing teams we don’t normally play. The talent level so far is far below what we usually see.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In preparing for this year, and I can't attend practices or games at this time since I am recovering from some health problems, I hear that a large number of programs, don't have JV teams this year. In fact, I was told that a couple of area schools with larger student populations don't have JV teams. Is this what you are experiencing in your area?

We're a 1A school, but for the past three years I've had ~25 girls playing, so we had a full JV team. But last year, I only had two Freshmen, so we were upperclassmen heavy. This year, we have only 18 playing, including eight Freshmen. I lost 7 seniors from last year, and four of this year's seniors have opted not to play for various reasons.

So, yes, I am experiencing a similar thing. Our JV "team" is 5 players (all have never played before), and because most other schools don't have one this year either, I don't have any JV games scheduled. But I don't think this is the death of JV Softball. I am pretty good about recruiting athletes from other sports, etc. to fill our the JV squad most years, and I think once we get back to a normal, in-person school year I should be able to have a full JV team once again.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
In preparing for this year, and I can't attend practices or games at this time since I am recovering from some health problems, I hear that a large number of programs, don't have JV teams this year. In fact, I was told that a couple of area schools with larger student populations don't have JV teams. Is this what you are experiencing in your area?
Yep, we have 3 teams out of 11 in our district without JV teams. Hate to see it happening and hope it is a Covid thing in the coming years.

More importantly @Cannonball I hope you continue recovering from whatever is ailing you and back to normal soon. Prayers your way and keep taking care of yourself!

S3

Feb 24, 2021

We have the same problem at the school I help out with. We haven't had a JV team in about 5 years and we usually get new players from those 8th graders that have graduated from our middle school; plus, our middle school is just now playing their season this Spring (being in Georgia, we play in the Fall). so some of the rising 9th graders that we hope to get will help us.

May 27, 2013
At our local public school (many travel players), it seems that some players turn their nose up at JV because since they play travel, they feel they should be on varsity. One pitcher I know quit this year because she didn’t make varsity as a sophomore. Varsity has 3 decent pitchers who share time - the one caveat being they can all hit. This girl can’t hit, and can’t field another position, so that hurts her. She also is not a lights out pitcher where her not being able to contribute at the plate also hurts her.

Jun 19, 2016
I have only heard of one local highschool not having JV. For the most part the level of play is pretty low. My DD and I were walking by the local high school and witnessing what I can only assume was a JV team warming up. We literally watched a girl swing and miss three times off the tee. So there seems to be quite a few beginners signing up....but I guess that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In my area, the smaller schools such as where I coach are lucky to have a varsity team let alone a JV team. 700-800 students and teams usually consist of 10-15 players. The bigger schools (2000+) usually have a Freshman, JV and Varsity team. Even with Covid, not much has changed around here.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Dd's old high school does not have jv this year. Even when she went the total roster was typically around 16 players. So while they did play jv games it required a few players to play both. This year they only have 13 players. The girls that truly want to play softball are there. They lost some of the fringe players. Not having a season last year definitely hurt the program.

Apr 20, 2015
JV going strong here in Indiana. Some schools also have frosh or JVa and JVb teams. Girls play travel that goes dark during school season and starts up again when they're done

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad