The death of JV Softball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In preparing for this year, and I can't attend practices or games at this time since I am recovering from some health problems, I hear that a large number of programs, don't have JV teams this year. In fact, I was told that a couple of area schools with larger student populations don't have JV teams. Is this what you are experiencing in your area?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
6a in North/Central Texas and 4 schools in our district have not had JV teams. Our JV program is pretty strong and has beat a few smaller school varsity teams.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
In preparing for this year, and I can't attend practices or games at this time since I am recovering from some health problems, I hear that a large number of programs, don't have JV teams this year. In fact, I was told that a couple of area schools with larger student populations don't have JV teams. Is this what you are experiencing in your area?
I am a HS AD and more competitive travel sports at younger ages are weeding kids out earlier and earlier every year. So many kids (especially girls) are quitting the game before they get to JV. I am seeing this across many schools in our area and across multiple sports.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
We will have—and have had—a JV team at our HS this year (will be 12 or 13 girls), but throughout the offseason and during tryouts, the head varsity coach all but begged parents and players to encourage more girls to try out for JV. For a while, it did seem he was worried there wouldn’t be enough girls to form a JV team. Not sure what it was like at other local schools.

May 29, 2019
DD's HS is Division 1 (largest), and this is the first time in 4 years they have fielded a JV team. They always seem to be on the fringe of just having enough girls for both teams, but usually went with a larger varsity team because of lack of pitchers. This year, there are still only three girls between both teams that can pitch. This same situation seems to be common amongst the schools in our area. Our JV team has only played two games, with multiple cancellations due to schools not being able to field a team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Out of respect, read this thinking there would be a remembrance service to attend....

H.S. has mandatory p.e. requirements.
What would have happened to j.v. without that?

JV tends to be a filler in the gap between dedicated players and kids who had fun in rec ball or those who never played.
From listening to others trying out high school sports...
There doesnt seem to be the prestige of accomplishment in jv. So the goal is really do something social.
BUT with the same b.s. drama & crud of varsity, that kinda takes the fun out of it.
JV becomes hit or miss at schools pending the teams dynamic. Often a coach people like is most important factor.

Aug 25, 2019
When DD played JV, we played two teams that were a combination of 2 neighboring schools (different school districts) which I didn't realize was possible.

As for credit for P.E., no sport in our school will give you credit, every grade has P.E. class,

May 4, 2016
We have always had JV typically for freshmen and sophomore. Last year there was even a C team for mostly freshmen. Participation seems to be increasing with any where from 8 to 20 freshmen going out, with a total of 30-50 girls at tryout. This pales in comparison to baseball which had 114 at tryouts this year.

Apr 1, 2017
Small sample size of the handful of schools I know about, but the schools with lower numbers cut freshman teams this year and did V and JV.

Oct 10, 2018
I guess we're lucky. The talent is hit/miss but there's interest from the girls. DD's school (NYC suburbs) fields both JV and V with healthy rosters. Several HS's in the neighboring towns in CT are fielding V, JV and Freshman teams.

There is a really nice rec program in the area that a lot of girls in play in during their elementary/MS years. And a couple pretty good travel teams.

DD's HS school gives the kids the option to drop PE (for study hall) during their sport seasons - but not Freshman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom