The Affect Of Games Live Streamed For Recruitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Noticeably internet tool has helped get college coaches eyes on players.
And follow players.

Does this mean that traveling to other states will not be as necessary?

*sure there are some events that MAY have more prestige. But hmmm???
There are many of those spread across the nation now.

So wonder if players will start staying in there own 'regions' more?

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Notice also its exciting to be able to see what college coaches are watching a players team.
It helps players see the connection toward their college goals.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Think noticeably internet tool has helped get college coaches eyes on players.
And follow players.

Does this mean that traveling to other states will not be as necessary?

*sure there are some events that MAY have more prestige. But hmmm???
There are many of those spread across the nation now.

So wonder if players will start staying in there own 'regions' more?

In general, our experience has been that live streams have been great AFTER the coach has seen the player in person at a game or camp and has some level of interest.

It was slightly different in last year or so with COVID where it was more difficult to get out to see prospects and interest was even more via skills video and reaching out to coaches. A lot more live streaming views (but players who had been seen already clearly were bringing in more views). I expect when everything goes back to 'normal' (whatever that is); we will likely go back to more in-person. Nothing beats seeing someone in person to do real scouting & recruiting.

The problem of course is that while SOME players on a team may have interest, there will be many players on your team that have not got the interest they want yet, so they need to be seen in person; so the travel will continue :-(

Jun 8, 2016
The livestreaming cannot hurt but if I was a coach I wouldn't want the only time I see a player to be on a livestream if at all possible.

Sep 3, 2015
In general, our experience has been that live streams have been great AFTER the coach has seen the player in person at a game or camp and has some level of interest.

It was slightly different in last year or so with COVID where it was more difficult to get out to see prospects and interest was even more via skills video and reaching out to coaches. A lot more live streaming views (but players who had been seen already clearly were bringing in more views). I expect when everything goes back to 'normal' (whatever that is); we will likely go back to more in-person. Nothing beats seeing someone in person to do real scouting & recruiting.

The problem of course is that while SOME players on a team may have interest, there will be many players on your team that have not got the interest they want yet, so they need to be seen in person; so the travel will continue :-(

This has been our experience as well. Better for pitchers and catchers, difficult for coaches to discover other players. These coaches can barely see the numbers on the jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The livestreaming cannot hurt but if I was a coach I wouldn't want the only time I see a player to be on a livestream if at all possible.
And yet there are players that get recruited without the college coach ever seen them play in a live game.
That percentage would be interesting to find out, probably would be startling and eye-opening simply cuz...it happens.

How many from the transfer portal?
Coaches know players played somewhere else but maybe never actually played against them.
So use game video.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
We have developed a decent network of college coaches. Most have said that streaming is a game changer. It won't eliminate travel completely, but opens the door to a new screening process. Submitted videos are records of what players want coaches to see. Streaming includes the good, bad, and ugly.

Aug 4, 2020
I was talking to the head of my DD's travel program a couple weeks ago about what he was using to stream games. He mentioned that he recently had a conversation with a D1 coach about one of his players. In the process the D1 coach mentioned that streaming has changed the game and he didn't have any plans to go out and travel to see players this fall.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I was talking to the head of my DD's travel program a couple weeks ago about what he was using to stream games. He mentioned that he recently had a conversation with a D1 coach about one of his players. In the process the D1 coach mentioned that streaming has changed the game and he didn't have any plans to go out and travel to see players this fall.
Bazinga

Jul 14, 2018
Submitted videos are records of what players want coaches to see. Streaming includes the good, bad, and ugly.

I wonder if coaches take the time to watch an archived stream. The full game will contain the good, bad, and ugly, but is it worth the time it takes to view a whole game to find that moment when a player deals with failure.

As teams, kids love when you can make a highlight reel, but should a pitcher be concerned about a bad outing being publicly available so that a teammate can show off their 2HR game?

I stream all of our teams games and post the files on YouTube a few days later. I wonder if/when I will deal with a request from a parent to take something down because it puts their kids in a bad light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802