Texas Tech Softball $10,000 NIL Deal for softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Certainly, and they are able to market themselves in order to take advantage of that if they wish.
??? Beyond the $10,000 dealio with the college???

Or does the $10,000 deal restrict further individual marketing of themselves???

🤷‍♀️ maybe I missed reading that detail?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That is a fantastic tidbit right there!

I did not know that.

eta:
We didn’t use 529’s my wife says they were uniform transfer to minors. She the mba with the math degree, I just signed the payroll deductions, lol
Yeah, the UTMA accounts are even worse because they're child assets. Those are assessed at 20%, so you lose financial aid in the amount of 20% of the asset value when you have a UTMA. A 529 Plan is mostly a parental asset assessed at 5.64%. If a grandparent owns the 529 Plan, it doesn't exist!!!

Those outside source scholarships can cost you money from the school. Here's the dirty little secret they don't tell. If the scholarship is from a source other than the school, and it's made payable to the school, most colleges reduce any other aid you receive by a similar amount.

Jul 19, 2021
??? Beyond the $10,000 dealio with the college???

Or does the $10,000 deal restrict further individual marketing of themselves???

🤷‍♀️ maybe I missed reading that detail?
Yes they can market themselves in addition to the university deal. Some of these players have multiple NIL deals with all kinds of outside companies. And actually most (if not all) of the bigger p5 schools have separate departments to help their athletes market themselves and bring in additional NIL monies. So it's not as if they are having to do it all themselves. They get university support because that is a huge selling point in recruiting. "Hey __________, you need to come here to XYZ University. We have an outstanding NIL support department to help you find and secure NIL deals for yourself".

Dec 11, 2010
Yeah, the UTMA accounts are even worse because they're child assets. Those are assessed at 20%, so you lose financial aid in the amount of 20% of the asset value when you have a UTMA. A 529 Plan is mostly a parental asset assessed at 5.64%. If a grandparent owns the 529 Plan, it doesn't exist!!!

Those outside source scholarships can cost you money from the school. Here's the dirty little secret they don't tell. If the scholarship is from a source other than the school, and it's made payable to the school, most colleges reduce any other aid you receive by a similar amount.
Great info.

We didn’t really have any hope of getting need based financial aid. It’s a good problem to have I guess.

Dec 11, 2010
Yes they can market themselves in addition to the university deal. Some of these players have multiple NIL deals with all kinds of outside companies. And actually most (if not all) of the bigger p5 schools have separate departments to help their athletes market themselves and bring in additional NIL monies. So it's not as if they are having to do it all themselves. They get university support because that is a huge selling point in recruiting. "Hey __________, you need to come here to XYZ University. We have an outstanding NIL support department to help you find and secure NIL deals for yourself".
Yet you still have bb and football coaches saying that any player who emphasizes nil won’t be considered…. Dinosaurs.

I don’t get that at all. Get your media people off their asses and do their jobs. That seems like step #1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45