Telling a kid she needs a new glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Never tell a kid they a need new anything. Tell a kid that their bat is dead, cleats are worn, glove is too big etc and confidence in that piece of equipment is out the window... it will stay in the back of their mind and eat away at their confidence. If you have doubts about kids equipment talk to the parents and let them know it might be holding them back and let them know your recommendations. Softball at levels where equipment matters is an expensive sport, if most parents are going to spend the bucks playing travel ball, they will likely find a way to fund a new glove. And there are a lot of cheap gloves out there that will serve the purpose.

I was helping my DD's team with some drills and my DD was taking batting practice and she hit 5 in a row off the end of the bat. Coach told her it was dead, broke my DD's heart because it was her favorite bat ever. I placed the ball on the tee and took an easy swing and the ball rocketed off the bat. Coach agreed it seemed ok, didn't make a difference, damage was done.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If we want to get into smelly gloves, there wasn't anything worse smelling than my batting gloves after a summer of hitting 200+ balls every day :LOL:
Well flying to games we used to carry on our gear and uniforms.
This happened threw check in on the way home.
No time to clean stuff yet.
My bag beeped.
Attendent went to open gear bag.
Team yelled "NO"
There its was
Stinky knee pads ( wore under shinguards)
Batting glove sweatty dead rotting flesh
And cleats
Amongst other gear.
Had to empty entire bag to get to the railroad spike i kept as a souvenier from some train track's by the field.
To the unknowing soul who opened the bag...sorry!

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Well flying to games we used to carry on our gear and uniforms.
This happened threw check in on the way home.
No time to clean stuff yet.
My bag beeped.
Attendent went to open gear bag.
Team yelled "NO"
There its was
Stinky knee pads ( wore under shinguards)
Batting glove sweatty dead rotting flesh
And cleats
Amongst other gear.
Had to empty entire bag to get to the railroad spike i kept as a souvenier from some train track's by the field.
To the unknowing soul who opened the bag...sorry!
What crazy rear town did you play ball in?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Never tell a kid they a need new anything.

Hey Julray, I completely understand your post, and your point! But when I see a glove completely bend / fold backwards from a screaming line drive, I will absolutely tell that kid and their parent "you need a new, or at least another glove!" It's a safety issue!

May 12, 2016
Hey Julray, I completely understand your post, and your point! But when I see a glove completely bend / fold backwards from a screaming line drive, I will absolutely tell that kid and their parent "you need a new, or at least another glove!" It's a safety issue!
I getcha, safety trumps all. For example cracked helmet. OP's post was related to performance so that's what my comments were based on.

Jun 26, 2021
Regularly cleaning and maintaining your batting gloves can help extend their lifespan and ensure that they continue to provide a comfortable and effective grip while you play.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How about telling them they need to break in their glove more. I look at some players gloves and its no wonder the ball doesnt stay in. High end gloves don't break in by just playing catch. You can play catch for a year and it won't break correctly. They need to be beat with mallets or weights. I use the Wilson glove break in guru's advise. Google it. Hot water and beating. I was a little leary about pouring hot water over $300 glove but it works perfectly. You can make an A2000 ready to go in one day.

Apr 8, 2019
Years ago I witnessed a coach inspect a girl's glove and then yell over to the parents "Bill, get off your wallet and go buy your kid a glove that isn't older than she is."

Everyone had a good laugh and she got a new glove.

Oct 4, 2018
How about telling them they need to break in their glove more. I look at some players gloves and its no wonder the ball doesnt stay in. High end gloves don't break in by just playing catch. You can play catch for a year and it won't break correctly. They need to be beat with mallets or weights. I use the Wilson glove break in guru's advise. Google it. Hot water and beating. I was a little leary about pouring hot water over $300 glove but it works perfectly. You can make an A2000 ready to go in one day.

Yup. I hear so many parents say their A2000 just won't break in.

I've made several playable in a day. You just gotta put in some work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12