Teams with Gold and Elite in their organizational Names

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At a B level tournament this weekend. Looking at all the teams with Elite or Gold as part of their names.......Thinking -- how can you be an Elite product but a B team......

should Elite or Gold products only play at the highest level --- A --- hmmmm

I guess the name is just a Goal!!!!
OY `VEY
someone let the cat out of the bag... ;)
Secrets running loose...
;)

Screenshot_2021-05-16-05-30-37-1.png

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Do elite and gold have official definitions? I'm guessing that softball associations like ASA might've invented those terms to describe tournament levels, but over time, they lose their original meaning and become part of team names.

I don't assume that it's pretentious to label a team Elite. It might just be an innocent way to distinguish teams in an organization that doesn't have truly elite teams. Or perhaps it is the goal. Can't blame anybody for having ambitious goals.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Doesn’t really bother me. Those in the know - know who the true gold and elite teams are.

Agree, except that those in the know don't necessarily know either. :) I mean, what is a true gold or elite team? There's no clear-cut borderline between the elites and non-elites.

May 27, 2013
IMHO, the true gold or elite teams are the ones who seek out and play the best competition - which is at well-known tourneys and showcases across the region or country. These are not the teams you’ll see at your weekly U-Trip tournaments.

ETA: What I’ve typically seen at the U-Trip levels are that the Gold or Elite teams are the better teams in that “specific” organization eg the 2nd year 10U, 12U, 14U teams.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Dang, DD's used both names for one team. Elite and Gold. They would and did play anyone. The only team that really showed them up was a 2016 Ohana Tigers team with a roster full of SEC commits. I have seen orgs use both where the Elite was a 16U showcase and the Gold was 18U playing for trophies. Personally I was never really bothered by what a team wanted to designate themselves as. Scoreboard baby, let the scoreboard do the talking.

Mar 28, 2020
ETA: What I’ve typically seen at the U-Trip levels are that the Gold or Elite teams are the better teams in that “specific” organization eg the 2nd year 10U, 12U, 14U teams.

I was thinking the same thing....maybe that team is the Elite/Gold product of a C level organization.

Google says "that superior is higher in quality while elite is of high birth or social position; aristocratic or patrician. "

and

Platinum is higher than Gold so maybe Silver =C, Gold = B, and Platinum = A

HA HA HA

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In the past, the Gold moniker was given to teams that actually qualified and played in Gold level tournaments. During an organizational tryout the program head said that he is proud to announce that they now have a 2nd gold level team. He said that he respects and holds the Gold level term in high regards. This second 18U gold team qualified and played in a Gold level tourney. When I see these teams that label them themselves as Gold, I ask myself OUT LOUD to those who are near me, I have never seen that team in a Gold level tourney. Who have they played? It may sound elitist and it is. Real Gold teams don't really want to waste their time playing the Hittin' Kittens Gold team. If your team is not there yet, it takes time to get there. Any yes the local Softball Illuminati will not let any team in their circle. The Texas Fastpitch Alliance actually gives you a chance to break into club by playing your way into the Champagne Room.

So what is a Gold level tourney? If you have to ask, your team is not a Gold team!

It used to be only ASA Softball Gold tourneys. Now I would include PGF Premier, JO Cup, Boulder IDT, Fireworks Power Pool Triple Crown Nationals (Top 16 finish-or maybe 32). The new Fastpitch Alliance series is another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802