Team players vs. competitive players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
I don't see anything insulting in his descriptions, I think he did a good job of making sure he didn't characterize the competitive kid as a little....brat.

Wow! Nice, is someone's dd taking a backseat to a more competitive player or what?
It assumes that competitive players are not team players and vice versa. I agree the post insults both players but more so the competitive player.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
I agree both player exist but to call it competitive vs team player is not accurate. How about ball player vs brat? Why selfish player vs team player? Competitive players is inclusive to all girls that play competitive ball. They define themselves as competitive players. (Vs rec) Ask your dd's if they are a competitive player and see what the answer is. Not either or just do you consider yourself a competitive player. Therein lies the rub cause every girl that plays competitive ball will identify as a competitive player.

Jun 1, 2013
What does this mean? Are you saying you think Coogansbluff is posting because his DD is taking a backseat to a more competitive player or that you think I feel this way?

This means that the tone of the post is more negative to the competitive player and for that there is a reason.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I reject the notion that you get to define what a competitive player is and is not. Whether intentionally or not, you are degrading them and their love of the game. You imply the only reason they play softball is so they can beat someone. Referring to them as schemers is a cheap shot, they don't need to scheme to beat you. They will do it with their skills that have been developed through hard work and practice. IMO your post insults competitive players.

That's good feedback. I hear you.

In retrospect, it was a mistake to label that description as 'the competitive player.' Yes, that description is insulting to those who are competitive.

I was attempting to describe a player whose primary motivation was the competition, but to an extreme degree, to the point of being flawed. The other extreme has its strengths, but also is flawed. Most people are somewhere in the middle, the healthier place to be in a team sport.

I'm just trying to make sense in my mind of how players have different personalities and motivations.

Also, didn't mean 'scheme' as a bad word. I wish more players were thinking of ways to beat their opponent, looking for a weakness, trying to exploit it. That's all I meant by scheming.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
FWIW i did not take it this way....Posters all have their personality and Coogansbluff consistently comes off as a level headed guy, kind of cerebral. I took his post to be really just noticing a pattern and trying to quantify it. It is hard to put terms on things without dipping into stereotyping and I though he did a good job trying characterize both types without demonizing one or the other and just ask a question about others opinions. I have noticed the same thing sort of, but in what I have seen, the REALLY good, competitive players WANT to be surrounded by teammates that are also good and competitive. They do not begrudge other's success at all but at the same time, they want to be at SS and batting top 4.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm just trying to make sense in my mind of how players have different personalities and motivations.

No single trait is going to be perfect. But, again, I think it is a helpful way to look at a player.

Jun 1, 2013
That's good feedback. I hear you.

In retrospect, it was a mistake to label that description as 'the competitive player.' Yes, that description is insulting to those who are competitive.

I was attempting to describe a player whose primary motivation was the competition, but to an extreme degree, to the point of being flawed. The other extreme has its strengths, but also is flawed. Most people are somewhere in the middle, the healthier place to be in a team sport.

Also, didn't mean 'scheme' as a bad word. I wish more players were thinking of ways to beat their opponent, looking for a weakness, trying to exploit it. That's all I meant by scheming.

But what I think you are referring to is just general personality types that have become involved in softball. Your "competitive" player is just a Type A personality trait. Maybe what you are seeing or trying to put a finger on is how the different personality types function on the ballfield.

Or maybe even different levels of type A.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I know you probably didn't intend it this way, but your version of the "competitive" player reminds me of the kid who's more experienced or talented than most of the others on the team, but has very little idea of how to be a teammate. They roll their eyes and make faces and throw their hands up in the air or yell "Hey, you gotta catch that!" when somebody else makes a mistake, and they come back to the dugout all sulky when they blow an at-bat. That kid can just suck the life out of everybody present when things aren't going well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13