Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She doesn’t swing the foot down either. She gets it down early. Some kids I cue on when to get the foot down and some on when to get the foot up. This girl lands with the heel off the ground and goes to the ground with her heel when she launches.

She must have elite control of her posterior chain. Heel to toe in both feet. When a kid is toe based or to the toes early; space gets lost. It’s been called glute/quad dominant. Timing becomes inconsistent bc of space inconsistencies which makes the bat path around or under alot of the time.

When you don’t use the sagittal plane, rotation happens earlier than wanted. It’s where the ‘depth’ originates from or gets lost.

Coaches will always reference ‘pop the heel’ or get to ‘toe touch’. All depends on what is needed. It isn’t that simple. The timing/balance of the sequence should dictate when ‘popping’ and toe ‘touching’ happen.

The heels, toes and insteps control ‘WHEN’ and to some extent ‘HOW’.

Just looked at her swings. Notice the set up? See how deep she starts in the glutes? Controls ‘when’. Controlling ‘when’ is more than half the equation imo.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
She must have elite control of her posterior chain. Heel to toe in both feet. When a kid is toe based or to the toes early; space gets lost. It’s been called glute/quad dominant. Timing becomes inconsistent bc of space inconsistencies which makes the bat path around or under alot of the time.

When you don’t use the sagittal plane, rotation happens earlier than wanted. It’s where the ‘depth’ originates from or gets lost.

Coaches will always reference ‘pop the heel’ or get to ‘toe touch’. All depends on what is needed. It isn’t that simple. The timing/balance of the sequence should dictate when ‘popping’ and toe ‘touching’ happen.

The heels, toes and insteps control ‘WHEN’ and to some extent ‘HOW’.

Just looked at her swings. Notice the set up? See how deep she starts in the glutes? Controls ‘when’. Controlling ‘when’ is more than half the equation imo.
I didn’t look at it that deeply, but from the few swings I saw she looks to be very strong. She also looks to have very good bat to ball skills and quick hands. Couple of those things together with hard, yellow balls, small fences, and rocket bats and you get the result insane in many of her video clips. Dingers.

Jun 8, 2016
I didn’t look at it that deeply, but from the few swings I saw she looks to be very strong. She also looks to have very good bat to ball skills and quick hands. Couple of those things together with hard, yellow balls, small fences, and rocket bats and you get the result insane in many of her video clips. Dingers.
Another one of those kids that played baseball..I think she played both through 12u

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I was just commenting on maybe why this kid has good timing. It’s in the posterior chain. It helps you hold a position of ‘foot down early’ without leaking. If you can control that you can have good timing/success.

It does appear AJ has better posterior control as well. Maybe that’s why the timing is really good this year? I dunno. Just thinking out loud. 🤠

Oct 26, 2019
I was just commenting on maybe why this kid has good timing. It’s in the posterior chain. It helps you hold a position of ‘foot down early’ without leaking. If you can control that you can have good timing/success.

It does appear AJ has better posterior control as well. Maybe that’s why the timing is really good this year? I dunno. Just thinking out loud. 🤠
Gotcha. Would you say David Wright hit like that? That is who she reminds me of a little

May 16, 2019

500 post ago....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802