Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One pitch is at the letters and the other looks to be at the knees. This is timing and pitch location. Having the adjustability to enter early or late, Ferris wheel or merry-go-round as a barrel path is definitely a plus. If your saying HLP hitters don't have that ability, I disagree. I agree that specific patterns and sequences have to be mastered or it can go bad just like any method of hitting.
Mike, I have great respect for you and have done my best to stay out of your thread. I will however mention that the concept of "merry-go-round" as it was coined in the beginning is different than what is now being portrayed. Back in the day on Setpro (I was not on Setpro but did have a bunch of stuff sent to me by Nyman.) and then on Englishbey's site, the Merry-go-round was not a flat depiction of the swing. Instead, it was a way of describing, as Englishbey once said to me in a discussion, of an action of what happens when a person jumps on a fast moving merry-go-round. The result is that once the person gets on, the merry-go-round will throw that person off. That then applies to the swing where the hands come into connection, ride that connection for a brief time and then the hands get thrown off.

Mike, of course, others have described the merry-go-round now as a flatter swing and then compare it to the Ferris Wheel. Heck, I even recall many describing the action as a tilt-a-whirl. To each their own but I did want to add my little bit of information for clarification AS I RECALL HOW ALL OF THESE THINGS WERE EXPLAINED BACK IN THE DAY. Carry on.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm aware of two girls that take TTB lessons both have been in it for a while. They both mash but neither of them turn the barrel behind them or early from what I can see. The hand warm ups at the head are these just to get loose? When does the barrel actually turn?
This is not a criticism. I'm trying to understand.

The TTB drills are about learning to use the hands/wrists to launch the barrel, and the intent to accelerate the barrel as quickly as possible from "go" with that muscle impulse. In the context of a live swing, the TTB movement gets blurred with other moving parts in the pre-launch sequence and the adjustments for pitch location. For my DD, TTB work was significant in improving her launch quickness and bat speed at contact. When she feels like she's being challenged by velocity, she refreshes that feeling in her hands with a couple of TTB snaps.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Thank you. I am doing this because I was very frustrated and made a lot of mistakes along the way. I‘m sure I’m not the only one that feels that way. This is really bigger that what style is being taught and I hope others will find some value or use in my sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101