Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
As the days go by, TM gets closer to describing the swing in ways that fit what us ‘shifters’ say. His only successful student (please point out the others, if there are some) looks that way as well. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I see the potential for a beautiful WW/TM relationship forming in the near future…now where are my tissues.

Jun 8, 2016
Honest question here Mike (which might be slightly OT depending on your answer) If a kid came to you who was stuck back because they didn’t know how to stride, what would be the first thing you would do with them? Granted I think more kids lunge than get stuck back.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Honest question here Mike (which might be slightly OT depending on your answer) If a kid came to you who was stuck back because they didn’t know how to stride, what would be the first thing you would do with them? Granted I think more kids lunge than get stuck back.
A lot of what I do is based on the movements of the student. Learning how to coil in the rear hip socket does not come naturally . I would introduce this to access her ability to perform and hold the coil without shifting laterally.

Jun 8, 2016
A lot of what I do is based on the movements of the student. Learning how to coil in the rear hip socket does not come naturally . I would introduce this to access her ability to perform and hold the coil without shifting laterally.

So if a kid had too active of a front leg you wouldn't do anything to try to remedy that before teaching coil? Or do you think learning how to coil properly would fix that?

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
So if a kid had too active of a front leg you wouldn't do anything to try to remedy that before teaching coil? Or do you think learning how to coil properly would fix that?
part of leaning to coil is controlling the weight and stride of the front leg, they depend on each other.

A proper coil involves the stride and the pullback.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
part of leaning to coil is controlling the weight and stride of the front leg, they depend on each other.

A proper coil involves the stride and the pullback.

Thanks. To me how Hayley is doing that hover drill is a problem and it is one of the problems Marcela has. Trying to balance on a pedestal (or maybe not trying to, but having it happen nonetheless) over your back hip before you move out is an unathletic move IMO and causes problems (at least for Marcela) when you do start to try to move out. In Marcela's case she does it, realizes she is going to be late and then stick her leg out to try to compensate. Off the tee she can do it (pause) and then move out ok because there is no timing aspect involved.

If the hover was just her moving out with an (exaggerated) slow cadence, without any pauses, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Thanks. To me how Hayley is doing that hover drill is a problem and it is one of the problems Marcela has. Trying to balance on a pedestal (or maybe not trying to, but having it happen nonetheless) over your back hip before you move out is an unathletic move IMO and causes problems (at least for Marcela) when you do start to try to move out. In Marcela's case she does it, realizes she is going to be late and then stick her leg out to try to compensate. Off the tee she can do it (pause) and then move out ok because there is no timing aspect involved.

If the hover was just her moving out with an (exaggerated) slow cadence, without any pauses, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Not intentionally pausing or stopping. What you describe is the end goal along with timing the ball to the swing.