Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I agree that stretch is present, I also agree you use your core, always have. How am i going to go rearward behind the rear hip without the core? I think we differ in how it’s accomplished. I want to load 80% by the pitchers hand break in baseball or the ball at 12 in fastpitch. Then, stretch the load as you wait and time the ball. My understanding is you want to weight the front foot so you can stretch As the ball is in flight. Young kids have more trouble trying to time the stride to the ball. Since your weighting the front foot, being early is a timing disaster (but a plus in HLP ) with the hands getting pushed forward. One more thing, every child‘s instinct is to reach with the hands. A hitter has to control that because the arms and hands will always reach early and too much. That reach is usually done when the ball is close to the pitchers release and by the time the ball is by the plate it’s not in the same spot. This way promotes a pushing action of the hands not by the hitters choice but the forward momentum created.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Do you have the shirt gifs?
WPAHPLj.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Hit on the left. Miss on the right. The pitcher has a lot to do with it but I have no way to measure that. When he misses he tilts further back and uses shoulder rotation, my guess is a slightly rushed swing and trying to beat the ball to a spot. IMO this is why most of our kids look great in practice and breakdown in the games swing mechanics wise. Hit on the left , I feel he’s behind the ball on a path. not rushed or hurried so he’s on top of the rear hip socket. Dare I say sitting in to his legs.

View attachment 26553

The mention of shoulder rotation is exactly the compensation.. usually happens bc the foot doesn’t get down fast enough so the hips don’t turn via the torque (GRF 🤮) from the legs; subsequently the core should ride the hips and stretch the shoulders back more so you can throw the barrel with enhanced thoracic stretch. The release point is no longer at the front shoulder but is dictated by the hands. Results in a push most times w much less speed.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The mention of shoulder rotation is exactly the compensation.. usually happens bc the foot doesn’t get down fast enough so the hips don’t turn via the torque (GRF 🤮) from the legs; subsequently the core should ride the hips and stretch the shoulders back more so you can throw the barrel with enhanced thoracic stretch. The release point is no longer at the front shoulder but is dictated by the hands. Results in a push most times w much less speed.

Yes, the foot down allows one to go with it or turn on it.. Without you will pull off and spin.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, the foot down allows one to go with it or turn on it.. Without you will pull off and spin.

Yes. The feet/knees move the pelvis. If done late etc etc. when folks start to understand these things. Getting to the front Foot via the back knee elevator and the back foot pushing etc the leveraging of the hips, things will make more sense.

Edit: me and the Joey from farm system argued this awhile back. He blocked me.lol. Later admitted that there had to be horizontal force if you want to rotate. Via the ball of the foot or the knee. Take your pick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood