Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If a kid snaps forward or the HLP snap can’t be checked?

If it’s the the later I say it’s not a problem.

Here, look at this. Look at the barrel arcing back, not forward where you can’t check. The picture gives the bat path, that of an arc and shows swing timing. The info itself is interesting. Not saying it’s 100% accurate, just interesting.

This is Yes, Yes, Yes/No. The decision is made to continue or not, It’s not a discussion to start, it’s a discussion to stop. What did Sue say her approach was, it was to swing every time until you stop.

View attachment 26918

It’s on and around, not forward. Your missing when the swing starts.

Of course none of it means squat, if you can’t swing at release, then just wait a tick (stretch) to unleash.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The problem I have with the diagram is that there is no 'thinking' or 'deciding' in the way that we normally use these terms. The 'swing-no swing' decision is largely built on previous experience and something the brain does without much conscious input. Yogi said it best, "How can you think and hit at the same time?" It's a 'black box' decision.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The problem I have with the diagram is that there is no 'thinking' or 'deciding' in the way that we normally use these terms. The 'swing-no swing' decision is largely built on previous experience and something the brain does without much conscious input. Yogi said it best, "How can you think and hit at the same time?" It's a 'black box' decision.

I can tell sometimes watching on my bucket when our hitter is in sync. Taking in both the hitter and pitcher at the same time. It’s within feet out of the hand sometimes.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Another one knee drill. Taking body out of the swing, nice slow float back. She is pushing the bat through on some of the swings, but not worried about that. Working on putting a little float in her swing

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hitters should have a mini check swing on every pitch. They should get their front foot up on every pitch. They should load/stretch/seperate on every pitch. Good hitters should not take many called strikes, IMO. There are exceptions but good hitters should never go down looking.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Whip hit. I do reverse hand swings with this. I will not give this to a student until they have a good bat path. I also make them wear
a helmet first time. Howard invented this. A guy he knew took it to market. As far as I know he stiffed the creator. Karma must of got him. They don't sell these any more as far as I know.
This will teach you a perfect release straight through the ball
This is a 4th grader doing this....pretty cool. She is one of the hardest workers you could ever have. IN 5th grade now.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Sequence. This bat is heavy in the handle. I put a piece of steel in the handle around 10 inches. If I had to guess, say 40 ounces. I have the girls strong enough swing this. I made a smaller/lighter version for the littler/younger girls. I have them think, hips go as your hands float back. Knob faces the pitcher on rotation. try to have a nice smooth swing working on sequence.
She has a beautiful swing....:)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Can you explain the preferred grip and how and why it increases bat speed? Are you familiar with golf grip terms? Would this be considered a strong grip in golf terms.
The bat ends up at the pad and fingers. The index finger the hook controls the sweet part of the bat. If you hold a bat and go to impact and stop. Have someone push the sweet part of the bat with one finger. It will give. Slop in your hand between thumb and first finger. Now use this grip perform same test. You wont be able to push bat back.
The ball rockets off the bat with this grip.
Howard and Bustos would pull say 8 girls out of the audience of around 200. Have them spread out, have them swing clock them with a radar gun, show parents.
Then change grip have them swing. 3-5 mph was the average increase. I watched them do this. I don't have a radar gun, so never did it myself.

This is like a golf grip. I would not tell a student its a strong grip. I want there elbows/arms working together in the swing. I more focus on lead arm pulling through the zone. It helps to achieve line drives.
Back arm dominant is a pop up swing....:)

SL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28