Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Her dad is Andy, pretty cool a couple parents announce the game for the girls.
In past years I hear you cant teach a cookie cutter approach.
If they do the homework, the Howard/Bustos approach works pretty good I believe.

Dec 11, 2010
I deleted my last comment, trying not to sound too harsh.

I always appreciate the parents that “act like they have been there before.”

I still have one of my dd’s in college. A recent development in college recruits (but more so parents) is a super entitled attitude. You can’t even talk to these people about anything other than how super wonderful their freshman or transfer dd is. No one, especially their former tb coaches, has apparently told them that they are making asses of themselves.

When a player is really good, no one has to tell the world. The world will tell them.

From a strictly softball perspective, I really like that players swing. (Actually I like all of the swings SL has posted. Very nice body of work, SL).

P.S., if she is doing something like numbering HR’s on instagram, tell her to knock it off. (I have no idea who the player is. I just know an older player that was setting this example and it created a difficult situation for her later.)

Sep 17, 2009
Hitters should have a mini check swing on every pitch. They should get their front foot up on every pitch. They should load/stretch/seperate on every pitch. Good hitters should not take many called strikes, IMO. There are exceptions but good hitters should never go down looking.
Agree. But per your other post, this means that 'snapping' before foot down isn't a bad thing because the very best check swings = the stopping of a fully committed/launched swing. You just shut down the engine at the last possible moment, right, and the bat path breaks down hopefully in the rearward arc so you don't get called for a check swing strike out over the plate.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I deleted my last comment, trying not to sound too harsh.

I always appreciate the parents that “act like they have been there before.”

I still have one of my dd’s in college. A recent development in college recruits (but more so parents) is a super entitled attitude. You can’t even talk to these people about anything other than how super wonderful their freshman or transfer dd is. No one, especially their former tb coaches, has apparently told them that they are making asses of themselves.

When a player is really good, no one has to tell the world. The world will tell them.

From a strictly softball perspective, I really like that players swing. (Actually I like all of the swings SL has posted. Very nice body of work, SL).

P.S., if she is doing something like numbering HR’s on instagram, tell her to knock it off. (I have no idea who the player is. I just know an older player that was setting this example and it created a difficult situation for her later.)
Unfortunately I think this is a generational thing. My attitude is much like yours; "act like you have been there before". One of my favorite football players of all time was Emmitt Smith for that very reason. As a Cowboy's fan, we have had plenty of the other type over the years...

I rarely trash talk anyone about anything. It simply isn't my style. I'm fine with other people trash talking (or bragging or whatever), but you better be able to back it up and live with the consequences if you don't. It was well known that the Cowboys lost a tough game to the Packers a few weeks ago. Frankly, the Cowboys were terrible that game and didn't deserve to win. A friend of mine, an Eagles fan, was texting me non-stop as soon as the game ended. He couldn't get enough. Funny enough, when the Eagles lost to the Commanders the following night, all of a sudden he couldn't be found. It was like he disappeared off the planet. Couldn't shut up when the Cowboys lost, but became a ghost when the Eagles lost. Sorry, but that type of attitude annoys me.

Dec 11, 2010
I’ll plead guilty to the charge of Off-Topicism and throw myself on the mercy of the court!

Pretty damn impressive hitters SL. And it is process that an average dump parent such as myself can grasp.

Dec 11, 2010
View attachment 26911
Howard (RIP) made this for his parents of students. I am sure he would not mind if I passed this on. Was with him almost 20 years. He lives on...SL
I meant to respond to this before. This sheet is loaded with practicality that can make a difference.

About marking the net- do this if you are a parent/coach. How many times have you seen players warming up for a game, hitting into a net, and hitting balls into the bottom of the net?

This also relates to “launch angle consistency” which is a very valuable skill to develop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812