Swinging down correctly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Did Bonds ever explain (to Yelich or anybody else) what he was trying to reinforce with that work? I know your take, just curious as to what he had to say about that?

I think the Yelich video spells it out nicely, but no I haven't herd Bonds reasoning.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Did Bonds ever explain (to Yelich or anybody else) what he was trying to reinforce with that work? I know your take, just curious as to what he had to say about that?

I‘m 99.9% positive none of us are going to get an answer from BB. However, it’s a great question by Pattar.

for the sake of discussion, I’m going to share what I’ve seen my students get out of the bonds .

visually or ball tracking
1. A deeper contact point resulting in better timing. For the ones that reach or swing too early
2. A better and different way of tracking and seeing the ball in regards to lett in come in to your hitting zone.

mechanically
1. less moving parts , at least it looks and feels that way to the hitter
2. A very direct barrel path
3. The hand snap is very quick and powerful
4. increased barrel control and if held a certain way increased barrel feel and control
5. You can feel a swing void of a big loopy feeling
6. How it feels to lead with the hand snap
7. when you transition to the game swing from the chop, it produces the Nike swhoosh feeling with the hands.

that’s all I can think of for now, I’m missing some .
sorry for the long post TDS. I love the chop…..

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That is planing and core pull Shawn. That is not launch. Before the hands turn, the core is pulling. Here’s some obvious core pull w a later turned barrel that hasn’t been launched yet.

View attachment 25916

Another good example of a pulling core.

Q7tkbtJ.gif

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am trying to teach my daughter this. Is there any drill to help understand this feeling?

Q7tkbtJ.gif
This gif tells you everything you need to know about how to swing. Look how much his front hip rotates away from the pitcher. Front side resistance.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Q7tkbtJ.gif

Yep. It gets pulled back then down(load). Then it gets pulled up and around(launch). Antagonistic movements. Yes the legs are needed for stability. Very important. Yes the hips help direct and power the swing. But the effort is in the middle. Tightest turn for depth. A ‘running start’ of sorts.

1656260582951.gif

1656258514757.gif

1656260743150.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not a drill necessarily but trying to recreate might be useful..both dry and with a moving ball..

Yep. Learn to train the slower/power muscles to create proper energy channels which produce separation and connection. The faster muscles should adhere thereafter. Since the goal remains the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28