Swingback yes or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Didn't see Bill's response above before posting, but that is exactly the issue we have

Not uncommon. It’s something we still fight with DD’s pitching. Stems from being taught swing back plus “reach out as far as you can” during the circle from her first (10u) teams pitching coach.

If only I had known then what I know now.

Aug 21, 2008
She has never had a backswing and if you mention it she can correct it. Seems more of a timing thing. We have been trying to get her to have the ball at 11 o'clock when her stride foot hits the ground instead of 9 o'clock.
2 things I would tell her: #1. Try not to let the ball drop below her waist line. This will keep the pitching are loose and prevent it from locking out. Once she drops her hand, and elbow goes straight, the ball will be below her waist. #2. try the phrase: "shove the glove". With the ball in her hand, and hand in the glove, try to push BOTH arms towards the catcher as though she's shoving the glove down the catcher's throat. This will encourage BOTH arms pushing forward, helping to eliminate any swim she might have with the glove hand and get the maximum power of the upper half of the body helping the lower half.

I hope that makes sense. Personally I have a hard time picturing things when people try to explain them. Hopefully that was a good enough explanation.

Jan 28, 2017
2 things I would tell her: #1. Try not to let the ball drop below her waist line. This will keep the pitching are loose and prevent it from locking out. Once she drops her hand, and elbow goes straight, the ball will be below her waist. #2. try the phrase: "shove the glove". With the ball in her hand, and hand in the glove, try to push BOTH arms towards the catcher as though she's shoving the glove down the catcher's throat. This will encourage BOTH arms pushing forward, helping to eliminate any swim she might have with the glove hand and get the maximum power of the upper half of the body helping the lower half.

I hope that makes sense. Personally I have a hard time picturing things when people try to explain them. Hopefully that was a good enough explanation.
Perfect. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478