Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I feel the rising up now. That’s one thing about taking swings is it builds body awareness. I feel going up through the front leg and up through my toes, going upwards.

Oct 2, 2017
I feel the rising up now. That’s one thing about taking swings is it builds body awareness. I feel going up through the front leg and up through my toes, going upwards.

I would try swinging across your "face". Your hands pull out and you stand up because your hands are chasing your head as its turning out. A simple keep your head down and facing the tee all the way through finish might help.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I would try swinging across your "face". Your hands pull out and you stand up because your hands are chasing your head as its turning out. A simple keep your head down and facing the tee all the way through finish might help.

Yes, exaggerating holding the posture will help. I’ve done this before, just didn’t do it enough. I’m also using a PVC drill as well. Let’s see if we can correct that bad habit.

Nov 18, 2015
During the PVC drills, I'm wondering if focusing on working the back shoulder under would help with the following?
- maintain the hinge longer
- keep the hands higher (relative to the body, not the ground - related to clemenslee comment)
- get through the ball a little better (better attack angle)
(comments are based on latest swing videos - I haven't visited the thread in awhile, so apologies if you've addressed this earlier)

Nov 16, 2017
Yes, exaggerating holding the posture will help. I’ve done this before, just didn’t do it enough. I’m also using a PVC drill as well. Let’s see if we can correct that bad habit.

Setup a board that is head height at launch position. A board you can get under. Figure out how to turn your body and deliver the barrel by not raising your head into the board. Talking about it isn't going to do much, you will need to feel and get feedback from the board. Practice until you can do it without hitting the board. Think of seeing the pitch \ ball sideways.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
giphy.gif

I think the lowerbody is better.

giphy-67.jpg
Notice how far you 'lunged' forward from toe touch to here.

You are not striding very far with the back leg. At 'toe touch' your head is at the left hand green line, and has not progressed forward enough. Stride 2-3 inches further using only the back leg.

erase.jpg

Notice:
Your back knee has not rolled over, but the front knee has. This is further causing the lunge/up.
Your hips and shoulders have not turned.

So, you are not really using your body.

1) Check your grip. I can't tell from this video, but it seemed like you are lining up your big knuckles. Line up your rings.
2) Point your back foot straight in the stance. Pointing backwards will prevent hip turn.
3) Think about keeping the hands near the armpit until hip slot (elbow down to belt), and think about turning your hips and shoulders from toe touch to hip slot. Try some dry swings - no tee or ball.

Update: I notice in your post #858, your swing looks better, because you got rid of the stride, and you started with your head in the center of your legs.. But this practice really won't help once you go into a game and use the old stride/lunge. I also notice that your grip looks correct in that post. Your back foot still looks pointed backwards slightly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478