Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No you got it… down to is relative to pitch location. The hands are direct to the ball regardless of location. In Pujois demo he’s showing being direct to the ball. I do wish he demoing a ball at the shoulders because it would make more sense to the people who are having issues with the fact Pujois is isolating his hands, there is no posture, no leverage etc

Maybe we are making a little bit of progress...

Oct 2, 2017
Is this one better? The point is that the actions demonstrated here do not match his game swing. Sure, he could have the thought process of "swing down". I never stated I disagreed with that. But the hand path seems exaggerated in this clip, and he does not allow his hands to travel that far before BGT (first chance to use the new term :ROFLMAO: )

lMM1JUs.gif
I posted this early in this thread. 9:15 is where he starts to talk about swing path.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
I am fine with using BGT if that would help the conversation move forward instead of constantly spinning tires. I agree that to me it is more about a barrel path and has nothing to do with a certain mechanic or philosophy. That said, I thought we were trying to work our way away from that by using the phrase "behind and through". In my opinion it is another descriptive term that matches the barrel path I am looking for. Unfortunately some people don't seem to like that either...
Yes I agree, but somehow the "down to" crowd have now come to say that with that "swing down" teaching, that the barrel somehow mysteriously gets "behind and through" the ball, just later, and w/o having the "BGT" in the process.

It also helps if/when someone asks how one gets the barrel "behind and through" the ball vs "down and to" it. Simple, the "BGT" back "around", and comes under the rear shoulder...instead of chopping "down to" the ball, and taking the barrel over the top of the rear shoulder as all of the "swing down" clips show it to be.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes I agree, but somehow the "down to" crowd have now come to say that with that "swing down" teaching, that the barrel somehow mysteriously gets "behind and through" the ball, just later, and w/o having the "BGT" in the process.

It also helps if/when someone asks how one gets the barrel "behind and through" the ball vs "down and to" it. Simple, the "BGT" back "around", and comes under the rear shoulder...instead of chopping "down to" the ball, and taking the barrel over the top of the rear shoulder as all of the "swing down" clips show it to be.

Apparently swinging up is bad. Getting behind the ball is bad. And swinging down and through is bad. We are out of options at this point. The only other thing I can think of is swinging backwards...

May 12, 2016
Yes I agree, but somehow "down to" crowd have now come to say that with that "swing down" teaching, that the barrel somehow mysteriously gets "behind and through" the ball, just later, and w/o having the "BGT" in the process.

The down to demos are isolating the hands. Watch the demos where they start their hands, everything is loose, there is no stretch, etc. Watch where there hands are when at FYB and leveraged in a game swing. Obviously the hands will not cross in front of the shoulder in that position. Add some posture = game swing barrel path. it’s really not that hard to understand and it’s not mysterious at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
May 12, 2016
Apparently swinging up is bad. Getting behind the ball is bad. And swinging down and through is bad. We are out of options at this point. The only other thing I can think of is swinging backwards...
Who said getting behind the ball is bad?

Reactions: TDS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802