Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
I’m still waiting for you to post a video of you or one of your students with good posture, sequence and a down to approach. All you gave so far was student in ABAF sequence and a reminiscence of the old days when you were ABAF.

And if you believe getting behind the ball means it’s ok to sacrifice getting to this position then good luck to you are your hitters
View attachment 23232
If you think this is ABAF....
GlSG9PN.gif

...you're lost, and hopeless. You've already said that you don't need my help, so just take everything I write - even if I quote you - as for someone else who's willing to have a conversation, and not just rerun the same drivel request as their only response to everything.

But here's a thought, maybe you should post a video of you actually doing what it is you want others to do, instead of the "do as I say, not as I do" BS you're wasting your time on.

Apr 11, 2015
FP26, I don't believe anyone has stated the barrel should be moving in a downward path through contact.. I have always stated "down to"... I have said numerous times and Bonds has said and shows he doesn't want the barrel to come into the ball from under (loop)...

Nothing wrong with this path since it allows him barrel control and drive it through the target.

yrDZtmK.gif
apmXUw5.gif
TDS, would be so kind as to draw the "swing done" and "down to" path of whatever it is you're saying should be moving in that direction in the second clip please.

I can easily see the "swing down" and "down to" path in the drill swing, where he never turns anything up to or through the ball, but I'm not really seeing any of that in the Olerud's swing at anytime throughout it. TIA

Apr 11, 2015
FYB and utilizing lead side even though it does appear he launches without much pressure on the front foot? Or nah different pattern entirely? Thoughts? (you can ignore the messenger and the message if you like..just look at the swing... :) ) I see a guy who moves out balanced while creating some resistance which allows him to launch when he needs to.

Only problem with the "analysis"...is that AGon does put his foot down before he actually launches the barrel.

May 12, 2016
If you think this is ABAF....
GlSG9PN.gif

...you're lost, and hopeless. You've already said that you don't need my help, so just take everything I write - even if I quote you - as for someone else who's willing to have a conversation, and not just rerun the same drivel request as their only response to everything.

But here's a thought, maybe you should post a video of you actually doing what it is you want others to do, instead of the "do as I say, not as I do" BS you're wasting your time on.
That’s not the one I’m talking about and you know it. Why would I need your help, you just assumed I did. The reason I want you to post a vid is because many pages back you said you tried being FYB, with good posture and down to and it didn’t work for you. I asked you post a video of it, and your response was “why so you can tell me I’m not being FYB or maintaining posture?” That statement tells me all I need to know.

Also comments on the massive bat drag?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Yeah I said you could ignore it..couldn't help yourself could you :p
While it's a nice (misleading) cue wrt swinging when you want to vs swinging when you have to after getting your foot down...the front foot has to be down to leverage the swing against for full efficiency.

Sure, a club or bat can be swung with the front foot in the air (except if you're told to "swing down" to it)...
g4SFlEi.gif
U2LfYwJ.gif

...just not as well, as powerfully, or as efficiently as when it's planted firmly on the ground.

Jun 8, 2016
While it's a nice (misleading) cue wrt swinging when you want vs swinging when you have to after getting your foot down...the front foot has to be down to leverage the swing against for full efficiency.

Sure, a club or bat can be swung with the front foot in the air (except if you're told to "swing down" to it)...
g4SFlEi.gif
U2LfYwJ.gif

...just not as well, as powerfully, or as efficiently as when it's planted firmly on the ground.
Don't disagree..nobody swings with the front foot in the air but "firmly" is relative..there are probably other swings of Agon where he has more pressure on the front foot when he launches. I don't have any idea what is optimal (50/50,60/40 etc) but optimal probably happens less than 50% of the time...you better be able to get a good swing off without "optimal" if you want to be able to hit..

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Don't disagree..nobody swings with the front foot in the air but "firmly" is relative..there are probably other swings of Agon where he has more pressure on the front foot when he launches.
Well yeah, but so is "much"...
FYB and utilizing lead side even though it does appear he launches without much pressure on the front foot? Or nah different pattern entirely?
I think it's all more about the timing within a specific swing vs some "different pattern entirely". JMO OMMV

Dec 11, 2010
Regarding spin…. from a couple pages back…. DD’s hitting instructor uses Rapsodo. It’s a spectacular tool.

It calculates spin. (It also tells you EV, LA, distance, and an illustration of where it would hit the field among other things.) I didn’t ask him specifically but he seems to really like less spin as an indication of squared up balls. Another hitter that was there hit an oppo ball with side spin and he was able to make an immediate adjustment.

DD is now paying attention to spin off the bat when we are hitting live on a field. She has never hit the ball harder or farther. I’m also noticing that her LA is pretty consistently around 19* but when she hits on the field she starts adjusting it to see how far she can hit the ball. Funny thing: she never hit a hr on the Rapsodo but she was hitting absolute bombs on the field. Just a curious thing I thought.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802