Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
1. We’ve already come to consensus that this is the idea path
2. He doesn’t have his bottom hand on the bat, so we really can’t comment on it
3. Thanks, but you are telling me what it isn’t, instead of what it is
Told you exactly what it is (see bold below), you just didn't want to read it...
jAU1we8.gif

....I like how his initial barrel path is first rearward via external rotation of the top hand, and he's not yanking the knob "down" or forward with his bottom hand, or "punching" the top hand forward over his rear shoulder.

...no forced pronation/supination of the forearms to launch or torque the barrel backwards as your first move.
...or understand it. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whatever you say ….

Unfortunately this is the spot we typically get to. Several posters attempt to explain what we view as the ideal "barrel path". You and others either cant see it, see it and claim you dont, or dont even try. Then you and others point out what you consider to be the ideal "hand path" and seem baffled that no one seems to have any issue with that, as long as said hand path results in the barrel path that we tried to explain previously.

The really strange part of all of this is that you created a clip yourself that perfectly illustrates exactly what we are saying yet you still dont see it. From my viewpoint it was almost as if you created that clip just for us it was so perfect.

Jun 8, 2016
jAU1we8.gif

....I like how his initial barrel path is first rearward via external rotation of the top hand, and he's not yanking the knob "down" or forward with his bottom hand, or "punching" the top hand forward over his rear shoulder.
For what its worth, I have had Marcela do this drill the last few months and it seems to be helping in a few different areas of her swing. ;)

Latta likes it as well (which may be where JD got it from since he worked with Wallenbrock and Latta was mentored by Wallenbrock I think...)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I see un-tipping first during the move out, once the foot is planted… bam… are you saying the swing happening before he gets FYB???

The swing doesn’t happen until the launch position. Which is around toe touch, can happen before or at toe touch.

FYB isn’t a position, it’s just something you pass through. FYB is the feel of the weight going to inside of the back thigh as the swing starts.

The launch position is when the coil or load is maxed out and the lowerbody and hands start.

giphy.gif

James,

Watch the back arm, specifically the upper arm. There is hand movement, yet the upper arm stays stable/pinched.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The swing doesn’t happen until the launch position. Which is around toe touch, can happen before or at toe touch.

FYB isn’t a position, it’s just something you pass through. FYB is the feel of the weight going to inside of the back thigh as the swing starts.

The launch position is when the coil or load is maxed out and the lowerbody and hands start.

giphy.gif

James,

Watch the back arm, specifically the upper arm. There is hand movement, yet the upper arm stays stable/pinched.

FYB, is absolutely real if you understand the mechanical advantage of leveraging all available resources.. We have been through this but learn how to get into a leveraged hitting position before swinging the bat.

AlalH0c.png

Try turning on an inside pitch if this is your launch position.

QzqT3ZX.gif

Ted was correct here and it sounds like your describing Ty Cobb's movement.

jknTyMu.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802