Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
We're/I'm talking barrel path. Yes, he starts his swing with the barrel above his rear shoulder (frames 7&8), but from there to contact (frames 9-12), his barrel is below his rear shoulder, and enters the zone from behind the plate...even though he makes contact with the ball well out in front of it.

With that, look at the young lady's barrel path, and see how her barrel comes over the top of her rear shoulder, and doesn't enter the zone until the middle of the plate or later...instead of her barrel going under her rear shoulder, and entering the much zone earlier like Trout's...and every other MLB hitter's swing(s).

LC only "launches"(not really, its an isolation) from over her shoulder there because her hands are moving fast compared to her body turn(her hands are much closer to game speed than her body turn). Hands still move on that path in game swing(down in front of arm pit)

At game speed her body turn moves her hands "forward" really fast so the barrel lays down really fast (lots of momentum). Under her shoulder just like everyone else.

I think theyre all trying(fighting momentum) to be as close to bisecting the shoulder as they can. All the "on top"/"down" thoughts get them closer.

Edit for gif: 1623420717963.gif

Feb 25, 2020

The 5 oclock hitter vs the 7 oclock hitter is the big take away(edit: most of the explanation is a little off IMO). High pitches/velocity/true backspin all deceive the brain. Cause swing unders. Practice shouldnt help the pitcher.

Feb 25, 2020
Shawn I see you laughing at Lauren Chamberlain. Have you ever tried it? Get your tee out and take a swing. Load up and when you want to hit the ball, throw your hands down straight at your back foot.(edit:resist your urge to serve a pizza)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Really seems like a strange discussion. A few people repeatedly say that the barrel path is and should be "behind and through". Other people consistently tell us we are wrong. That the focus must be "down to". And then to drive home their point they keep posting game clips of swings that are most definitely "behind and through".

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn I see you laughing at Lauren Chamberlain. Have you ever tried it? Get your tee out and take a swing. Load up and when you want to hit the ball, throw your hands down straight at your back foot.(edit:resist your urge to serve a pizza)

I think those swings are funny.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yep, same old rerun nothingness, when you now realize that you're completely wrong when you teach, say, or think that any MLB hitter's "barrel path is down to the plane of the pitch", while swinging at the "top half of the ball".

Mud, you can continue with the gotcha games to support your agenda but everyone here see right through it..

Down to creates to steep of barrel path with the rear leg/hip driving the swing (your pattern).

knzdEtX.gif

May 12, 2016
Really seems like a strange discussion. A few people repeatedly say that the barrel path is and should be "behind and through". Other people consistently tell us we are wrong. That the focus must be "down to". And then to drive home their point they keep posting game clips of swings that are most definitely "behind and through".
And then there are some who think “down to” cannot result in the desired barrel path … they continually post gifs of the pros isolating what the hands do and refuse to see the missing ingredients because it doesn’t fit their agenda.

Reactions: TDS

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee