Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If the "Barrel path is "down to" the plane of the pitch" (that is also going down) - aiming at - "the top half of the ball"....how and when does the barrel path miraculously turn up, and hit anything but the top half of the ball?

Forget the legs are anything but anchors when leveraged fyb.. From there its using the middle to swing "down to"

DoMGI9d.gif

Compared to ABAF where down to creates to steep of barrel path with a rear leg/hip driver.

knzdEtX.gif

Apr 11, 2015
Forget the legs are anything but anchors when leveraged fyb.. From there its using the middle to swing "down to"

DoMGI9d.gif

Compared to ABAF where down to creates to steep of barrel path with a rear leg/hip driver.

knzdEtX.gif
All of that is irrelevant. You keep saying that the "barrel path is down to the plane of the pitch" (with pitch planes being down also), and you're aiming at the "top half of the ball".

So I'll ask again, if the "barrel path is down to the plane of the pitch", and you're aiming at "the top half of the ball"...when and how in the swing process, does the "barrel path" miraculously turn up, and not hit the "top half" of the ball?

Subsequently, in all of the supposed "down to" game swing examples of the pros you keep posting; are you really unable to see that they all have the same Ted William's "loop" in them that you so adamantly oppose?
IY8Zon9.jpg
DoMGI9d.gif

Please highlight or markup the "down to the plane of the pitch" barrel path part of Ted's drawing, or Miggy's swing you just used as an example, so we can all see what it is you're talking about. TIA

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I agree with the bold, and why I started talking about "under vs over" years ago. The barrel path goes under the rear shoulder as in the swing above, and in all HL swings, and it never goes over the rear shoulder as shown in all of the demos of the "swing down" are showing.

As FP has said, I too am OK with the thought process of "staying on top of the ball" to be able to hit pitches up in the zone as well as those lower in it. But to teach or drill kids to hit the ball into the dirt in front of them like I've seen and heard many talk do and talk about, is detrimental to their overall swing process and development...IMO.
In the “down to” demos the pros are isolating the hands… they are just standing there with their hands already in front of their shoulder displaying what they do with their hands. In a game swing they either start with their hands at their shoulder or move theirs hands back on the forward move. At maximum stretch the hands are behind the rear shoulder. “Down to” from that position with good posture looks much different than it does in a demo where the pro is just standing there isol their hands.

We already established the importance of good posture and sequence and agree it happens… why are we still talking about the bat coming down in front of the shoulder? When somebody can show me a swing with a hitter in good sequence and posture and hands coming down in front of the shoulder we can talk more about this.

It’s one thing when somebody new to the game looks the demo and does not get it, it’s another when somebody with much experience deliberately misinterprets that the pros are only isolating their hands with important components missing from the demo and expecting a game swing barrel path.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
All of that is irrelevant. You keep saying that the "barrel path is down to the plane of the pitch" (with pitch planes being down also), and you're aiming at the "top half of the ball".

So I'll ask again, if the "barrel path is down to the plane of the pitch", and you're aiming at "the top half of the ball"...when and how in the swing process, does the "barrel path" miraculously turn up, and not hit the "top half" of the ball?

Subsequently, in all of the supposed "down to" game swing examples of the pros you keep posting; are you really unable to see that they all have the same Ted William's "loop" in them that you so adamantly oppose?
IY8Zon9.jpg
DoMGI9d.gif

Please highlight or markup the "down to the plane of the pitch" barrel path part of Ted's drawing, or Miggy's swing you just used as an example, so we can all see what it is you're talking about. TIA

I will continue to beat a dead horse in hopes a light bulb moment happens.

None of the pros who speak "down to" want that barrel to loop and come up on the ball.. Its all about hitting the ball on a line from a leveraged position...

Now if your pattern is ABAF one needs to ttb to remove the steep barrel path..

knzdEtX.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I agree with the bold, and why I started talking about "under vs over" years ago. The barrel path goes under the rear shoulder as in the swing above, and in all HL swings, and it never goes over the rear shoulder as shown in all of the demos of the "swing down" are showing.

As FP has said, I too am OK with the thought process of "staying on top of the ball" to be able to hit pitches up in the zone as well as those lower in it. But to teach or drill kids to hit the ball into the dirt in front of them like I've seen and heard many talk do and talk about, is detrimental to their overall swing process and development...IMO.

is this above the rear shoulder?

1627866911394.gif

how about this one?

1627867023695.gif

The barrel starts from above the rear shoulder upon swing launch. Staying on top is just barrel control. Too release the barrel when you want, not early or late, but when the hitter needs to. If you’re truly trying to stay through the zone for the longest time, you want the smallest loop possible. To see the ball as long as possible wo committal. Akin to staying inside.

Apr 11, 2015
I will continue to beat a dead horse in hopes a light bulb moment happens.

None of the pros who speak "down to" want that barrel to loop and come up on the ball.. Its all about hitting the ball on a line from a leveraged position...

Now if your pattern is ABAF one needs to ttb to remove the steep barrel path..

knzdEtX.gif
Yep, same old rerun nothingness, when you now realize that you're completely wrong when you teach, say, or think that any MLB hitter's "barrel path is down to the plane of the pitch", while swinging at the "top half of the ball".

• Haha
Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
is this above the rear shoulder?

View attachment 23352

how about this one?

View attachment 23353

The barrel starts from above the rear shoulder upon swing launch. Staying on top is just barrel control. Too release the barrel when you want, not early or late, but when the hitter needs to.
You stopped the Trout clip too early, but knowing what I do about Trout's swing (and every other MLB hitter), yes, Mike's swing will continue with the barrel coming around from behind him, and traveling below his rear shoulder as it starts forward to the ball.

Trea's barrel path, while blurry, still comes around, and below his rear shoulder on the way to the ball as stated.

If you’re truly trying to stay through the zone for the longest time, you want the smallest loop possible. To see the ball as long as possible wo committal. Akin to staying inside.
I have no disagreement with this statement. The "smallest loop possible" is fine, trying to remove it completely as some here are trying to say HL hitters are trying to do is where the problem(s) start.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Mudders Brudder ‘On top‘ is ‘inside the ball‘ on the vertical axis. if we come around the ball it’s long. If we come from under the ball it’s long.

Trout launches his barrel from above the shoulder like LC right? At least in this clip?

1627871876755.gif

1627872085801.gif

but MTs spine adjusts, correct?

Apr 11, 2015
@Mudders Brudder ‘On top‘ is ‘inside the ball‘ on the vertical axis. if we come around the ball it’s long. If we come from under the ball it’s long.

Trout launches his barrel from above the shoulder like LC right? At least in this clip?

View attachment 23354

View attachment 23355

but MTs spine adjusts, correct?
We're/I'm talking barrel path. Yes, he starts his swing with the barrel above his rear shoulder (frames 7&8), but from there to contact (frames 9-12), his barrel is below his rear shoulder, and enters the zone from behind the plate...even though he makes contact with the ball well out in front of it.

With that, look at the young lady's barrel path, and see how her barrel comes over the top of her rear shoulder, and doesn't enter the zone until the middle of the plate or later...instead of her barrel going under her rear shoulder, and entering the much zone earlier like Trout's...and every other MLB hitter's swing(s).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee