Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong. You yourself have stated that you do not need to have both feet on the ground in order to be leveraged. I believe you added the qualifier that it would be "ideal, but not necessary" or something similar to that. Am I quoting you incorrectly, or have you changed your mind about that statement? When I created the clip above, I never stated that it was the ideal launch position.

Shift then swing (fyb)

IyWGYIo.gif

AlalH0c.png

Nov 16, 2017
What am I missing, why did you use Donald who's the exact opposite of the "swing down" demo crew poster kids? He demos the Bonds, and et. al "tomahawk" chop, and says that that's the "thing I want you to stay away from"...

So how are you assimilating that to the Bonds swing and words wrt to it?

Oh, and to this....

Sure they are, you've just tuned some of them out, and only hear what you want to hear...

I would think a current professional, and former MVP who can break down, and tell you exactly why he does what he says and does, and whose game time video actually shows that he does what he says he does, might not be a bad person to listen to when it's all said and done. 🤷‍♂️

You must understand that Josh plays the all or nothing game. If he guesses correctly he hits doubles and HRs, if he doesn't then it is usually a strikeout. This is the modern approach to hitting that may lead to more doubles and HRs but lower batting averages. If you really paying attention to the MLB there is a big transition now moving away from this approach. His ability to adjust is limited by taking the hands away. You will not see him poke the ball through the 3-4 with 2 strikes on him. Those type of hits are what bring you average up.

Listen to what DeRosa says to him, DeRosa gets the approach.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You must understand that Josh plays the all or nothing game. If he guesses correctly he hits doubles and HRs, if he doesn't then it is usually a strikeout. This is the modern approach to hitting that may lead to more doubles and HRs but lower batting averages. If you really paying attention to the MLB there is a big transition now moving away from this approach. His ability to adjust is limited by taking the hands away. You will not see him poke the ball through the 3-4 with 2 strikes on him. Those type of hits are what bring you average up.

Listen to what DeRosa says to him, DeRosa gets the approach.

Yea, far from his MVP numbers. Opening up the zone causes issues for certain patterns.

AZ939oR.png

Jun 8, 2016
Yea, far from his MVP numbers. Opening up the zone causes issues for certain patterns.

AZ939oR.png
Not saying you are wrong but he is also 35 YO now. Miggy's, Albert's, Manny's etc numbers also plummeted starting around 35 YO and they were all better hitters in their prime than Donaldson(granted Albert and Miggy had some injuries and who knows how old Albert actually is :LOL: ). At the MLB level, it doesn't take much of a loss of "athleticism" to degrade their ability to hit.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Not saying you are wrong but he is also 35 YO now. Miggy's, Albert's, Manny's etc numbers also plummeted starting around 35 YO and they were all better hitters in their prime than Donaldson(granted Albert and Miggy had some injuries). At the MLB level, it doesn't take much of a loss of "athleticism" to degrade their ability to hit.

Could be some of that.... Also noticed similar results from Kris Bryant up until this year. Folks who were arrogant about their swing path have had to make some changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812