Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
As far as a cue. I often use the cue, "Get to your spot!". I had all the players spread out, told them to stride to their launch position, using their own tempo. Their launch position is their own individual "spot". It belongs to them. I don't care how they got there or how fast or slow either. They are to get there each and every pitch. If they are rushed and hit the ball foul the opposite way, ask them, were you late getting to your spot? "Yes, coach" Then adjust. Theory being that they "should" be able to self adjust their starting time, based on the pitcher. Not saying this is full proof by any means, but it has helped the team be more consistent with their timing.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
Stop doing this. There is no 'staying back' regarding the stride. Period. You start moving when the pitcher releases the ball. Every. Time.

Get off the back foot (notice, below, how far the rear hip goes forward)

View attachment 22681
When I mention stay back, what I understand is not in a literal sense, not with the stride and gaining ground itself (I may not articulate well expressing my thoughts); and the engagement is the tensioning (as she moves out) of the rear side from heel up through the obliques and rear shoulder...or something to that effect. Is that a wrong understanding? If she gives that up she will freely leak all into the front side?

Dec 12, 2020
Played again Tues eve. She was focused on getting to "her spot" on her terms by getting around the rear hip but against the leg, not around and on top. She definitely reverted quickly, but a difference is slowly making appearances; I think a lot is due to her just wanting to do damage now. She is not satisfied with contact anymore, and I don't think fear is really a factor any longer.

I feel like I see a lot of abaf, but I think again that is because of timing? Also she never seems to get any sudden bat speed as she does [kinda] in practice with TTB, gets very pushy, and really gets on the front side when she does get off the "pedestal"...is this timing too?

Anyway, here are the pitches she saw on Tues with just the aforementioned focus. Much of the same as before, but I feel there were glimpses. Again hit a couple hard, again they found an OFs glove. Story of the 2nd half of the year.

Also below is a gif of her attempting to get to launch on her terms. Highlighting it, because I was happier with it and am looking for unbiased eyes. It was early in the eve so the thought was fresh on her mind. The finish of the swing gets pushy. It seems whenever she gets a somewhat strong move out she really gets deep onto the front leg.

1fa47961ac373e5a3b731ee8dc28e599.gif

Jun 8, 2016
That move in the gif is pretty good imo. She is opening a bit early and then has to slot early so that is probably why she is pushing.

Oct 2, 2017
Played again Tues eve. She was focused on getting to "her spot" on her terms by getting around the rear hip but against the leg, not around and on top. She definitely reverted quickly, but a difference is slowly making appearances; I think a lot is due to her just wanting to do damage now. She is not satisfied with contact anymore, and I don't think fear is really a factor any longer.

I feel like I see a lot of abaf, but I think again that is because of timing? Also she never seems to get any sudden bat speed as she does [kinda] in practice with TTB, gets very pushy, and really gets on the front side when she does get off the "pedestal"...is this timing too?

Anyway, here are the pitches she saw on Tues with just the aforementioned focus. Much of the same as before, but I feel there were glimpses. Again hit a couple hard, again they found an OFs glove. Story of the 2nd half of the year.

Also below is a gif of her attempting to get to launch on her terms. Highlighting it, because I was happier with it and am looking for unbiased eyes. It was early in the eve so the thought was fresh on her mind. The finish of the swing gets pushy. It seems whenever she gets a somewhat strong move out she really gets deep onto the front leg.

1fa47961ac373e5a3b731ee8dc28e599.gif

👏👏👏👏 Much improved, IMO! Good Job. I will not say anything about front side. It depends on the hitting philosophy, other than that great job!

Dec 12, 2020
Completely shut down the swing for nearly three months (stayed a bit in touch with some Wasserman progressions). Figured I'd say hey with an update. It's been soccer life for a bit, and basketball is on the horizon. No softball games this fall but we just began some weekly team skills sessions, and we will begin swinging at home sometime in Oct.

Here's a couple live swings from this past Sat, her first vs a 12" ball. Maybe took a few steps back, but fun to see how many miles she is ahead of when we began last winter. Realizing how much of a journey it really is; I think it'll be easier to trust and stay patient this next go round.

Jun 8, 2016
Completely shut down the swing for nearly three months (stayed a bit in touch with some Wasserman progressions). Figured I'd say hey with an update. It's been soccer life for a bit, and basketball is on the horizon. No softball games this fall but we just began some weekly team skills sessions, and we will begin swinging at home sometime in Oct.

Here's a couple live swings from this past Sat, her first vs a 12" ball. Maybe took a few steps back, but fun to see how many miles she is ahead of when we began last winter. Realizing how much of a journey it really is; I think it'll be easier to trust and stay patient this next go round.

She certainly has lots of verbal encouragement…😂

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812