Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Borrow

Some of the game swings are adjustments. Her timing is early or the pitch was slower the she anticipated. However her swing as a whole is what is called missing frames. Meaning she gives up the coil.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD's last six games (first travel experience then a friendly this past weekend) went very well. 5 for 5 on Sat, and .400 for the previous weekend's tourney. Slugging is not quite there yet, but I'm not expecting too much yet out of her 65lb frame, lol.

The quality of her mishits get better and better, and she is slowly getting more barrels, finding the grass often.

The video below compares a recent practice session to a few recent games swings. Its fun to see the correlation when all the uncertainty is introduced. She has been very conscious of her "move out" but it's very hard to keep everything in sync, that particular launch position is hard to achieve. Proud of her continued effort.

I know it's a journey, and I can't express how thankful I am to have found this site and the countless threads, posters, and replies to help the trek.

There is another thread on "free hands" and I think this swing is an example of hands being to free (pushing). Big difference between tee swings and live at bats. Tee swings being much better. It is partly timing (early launch)that cause her hands /arms too become disconnected too soon. Little bit of abaf going on too. That being said she well ahead of the average 10 y/o.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
During the tee and toss swings there wasn’t any problems which leads me to believe that the issue is with her sway. imo if she continues her load that way it will only get worse as the pitching gets better. I would copy the toss swings intent of load and timing devices. Right now game swings are much different.

what you need to teach her is rhythm which creates timing within her toss swing load off a machine is probably most game like and best way. See where you’re at.

you can always control when and how you start. Everyone is different.

Jun 8, 2016
She is spinning, e.g. she isn't staying square to the plate long enough (or holding her angles, holding a line, holding her coil..or whatever you want to call it). Could be due to moving out from a pedestal due to the sway mentioned by @Work=wins.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She is spinning, e.g. she isn't staying square to the plate long enough (or holding her angles, holding a line, holding her coil..or whatever you want to call it). Could be due to moving out from a pedestal due to the sway mentioned by @Work=wins.

this is all rhythm related to me. She gets back too early and waits. She does stride to a pretty good balanced position though. But it’s mistimed. she planes deep but early. She still manages to sting the ball.

i would try to load against the back leg w the hands smoothly. the back leg needs to feel weighted and stable without getting on top of it. the hands need to break inertia earlier so the forces can be better balanced. that’s what I would do. against a timed ball for practice.

The swing itself is pretty good imo. The balance is the issue.

Dec 12, 2020
View attachment 22678

See my post #207 over a month ago regarding stride. Same problems here.

Plus, the bat head is flat (should be abt 50 deg - see yellow)

You can fix these easily in a few days, and make a huge difference.

Thanks E, though I feel a few days fix at home does not correlate smoothly to game action. Maintaining her angles/ coil while getting out seems to be a struggle. She knows what she wants to do, she's a pretty smart cookie, but it just doesn't happen. If she does move out - she gives it up, if she doesn't - she rushes and gives it up anyway.
I feel like we're going through steps forward and backwards that hopefully eventually align. (Stay back and engaged, another time move out and release early, back and forth, yada yada..)

This position is somewhat new and it seems to be happening a little more often, as opposed to early when she would constantly swing from that completely stacked position.
I know it is not correct, but it seems to be a little closer?

Also, is the backside collapse responsible for the swing around the ball, almost slapping it? Tee swings she seems to get more linear through the ball, in game rotational smacking it.

9c15b07b9dddb2808b154882e52b5178.jpg

Dec 12, 2020
this is all rhythm related to me. She gets back too early and waits. She does stride to a pretty good balanced position though. But it’s mistimed. she planes deep but early. She still manages to sting the ball.

i would try to load against the back leg w the hands smoothly. the back leg needs to feel weighted and stable without getting on top of it. the hands need to break inertia earlier so the forces can be better balanced. that’s what I would do. against a timed ball for practice.

The swing itself is pretty good imo. The balance is the issue.
I agree much of it is timing. No matter how early she starts, she picks the same late time to begin her attack, though she does seem to be getting more aggressive moving out. We discuss trying to load more vertically and against the leg than swaying backward, but live action keeps reverting to the current habit.

Can you explain the rhythm?

Also, we played two games last evening, with a focus on being ready at release. We have two more this evening. Any particular simple cue that you (anyone reading) would try to implement?

Oct 2, 2017
I agree much of it is timing. No matter how early she starts, she picks the same late time to begin her attack, though she does seem to be getting more aggressive moving out. We discuss trying to load more vertically and against the leg than swaying backward, but live action keeps reverting to the current habit.

Can you explain the rhythm?

Also, we played two games last evening, with a focus on being ready at release. We have two more this evening. Any particular simple cue that you (anyone reading) would try to implement?

Are your telling her start earlier? If you are, sometimes, that will actually make them slow down even more. Why?, because it makes them uncomfortable. They "think/feel" they are going to be way too early and have a oh crap moment. Its a very vulnerable position for them to be in. So, what do they do? Instead of keeping their own normal tempo and starting it earlier, they start early,but slow down. Defeating the very reason to start early to begin with, LOL. They have to learn that their tempo/rhythm is theirs. It does not change, no matter what! All they are to change is when they start their rhythm/tempo. This is why I cannot stand it when I hear coaches, even one on my DD's team tell girls, "quicker, quicker or faster, faster". No! They simply need to change their starting time with the pitcher. This is done starting in the dugout, and on deck circle. Then the at bat. Just my Opinion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598