Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
This has been our focus, and she had a great tourney this past weekend. We had planned to keep it simple, but she obviously decided she would continue the leg kick, lol; I feel for the most part she is who she is for now during the season. So we stay focused on her mental game - this is where most of her improvement is apparent.

She forces acts of confidence and it sorta just becomes real. She checks me at 1b before she steps in the box and it's an agreement that she is ready. She has come to really love her opportunities to hit. She's cemented herself in the two spot after beginning the year #11, which carried over from last season. Fun stuff.

Critique is always welcomed, in fact desired.

Thanks all!

Dec 12, 2020
A little about about her weekend...

We began the tourney against a very strong local program, an "A" team fwiw. An unfortunate moment, our leadoff batter was hbp fracturing her radius, and I thought it would really shake DD up, but I never noticed it. Their sp was dynamite, and DD walked twice (seven pitch at bats) and hit a couple soft liners for singles.

DD did not strike out and had a number of exciting 7,8,9 pitch at bats. She also barreled a couple. The 1st and 3rd in the video really traveled well.

She even had players from two teams alert their OF when she stepped in the box. To be clear, our goal is to hit through second base's head, but she pulled both of those. The 1st clip is from last evening's league game, a big step down from the hard thrower she faced at the end of Sunday, prob why she was so ahead...and confident.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
@clemenslee1 I really enjoyed your recent post so I snuck in a little tip and rip with some walk-throughs on a recent tee session.
Not asking anything more than to have fun with it, but maybe it subconsciously over time lessens some bat wrap and improves her hand pivot. Not sure if we did it correctly, but it seems more fluid, more effortless.

Oct 2, 2017
@clemenslee1 I really enjoyed your recent post so I snuck in a little tip and rip with some walk-throughs on a recent tee session.
Not asking anything more than to have fun with it, but maybe it subconsciously over time lessens some bat wrap and improves her hand pivot. Not sure if we did it correctly, but it seems more fluid, more effortless.

Very nice! She's going to be a good one! I personally believe tip/rip, has real value for some players. In the fact that it allows more natural sequencing of the hands loading. One thing while having fun with it, is to make sure to keep it in control. I doesn't need to be some crazy movement.

Among other things that DD has changed, I really am sold, that this added a big benefit for her being able to improve her loading timing wise against live pitching.

Some tip straight to the opposite batters box, some tip more so towards the pitcher.

Ruth for example was more towards the opposite batters box. Need to find what works the best and naturally.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
Very nice! She's going to be a good one! I personally believe tip/rip, has real value for some players. In the fact that it allows more natural sequencing of the hands loading. One thing while having fun with it, is to make sure to keep it in control. I doesn't need to be some crazy movement.

Among other things that DD has changed, I really am sold, that this added a big benefit for her being able to improve her loading timing wise against live pitching.

Some tip straight to the opposite batters box, some tip more so towards the pitcher.

Ruth for example was more towards the opposite batters box. Need to find what works the best and naturally.

Thanks! We are keeping it simple, and though fun, I did want to make sure her "hands" (hand, forearm relationship) maintained some rigidity to feel the pull back of the tip. Hope I understand that right...didn't want a little wrist waggle, if that makes sense.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks! We are keeping it simple, and though fun, I did want to make sure her "hands" (hand, forearm relationship) maintained some rigidity to feel the pull back of the tip. Hope I understand that right...didn't want a little wrist waggle, if that makes sense.
Yeah I like that lit bit of pull back with the tip, that you DD did. She'd definitely didn't allow the bat to loop. It seemed to even get the barrel to stay more vertical, instead of laying flat etc.

May 12, 2016
I'm being extra picky, I think for her age she's well on her way. Love the way she leverages the ground. However I think she's sitting on her back foot/leg a little at heel plant.

1623172592295.png1623172673821.png1623172730027.png1623173192264.png

VS

1623172930692.png

Here's a nice progression using Wright showing how he get's off is back leg into a balanced position at heel plant. Compare his front hip with the manager in the dug out, from the first to the last pic it travels quite a bit, this distance varies between hitters, but I just wanted to point that out and how his head stays centered over his belt buckle.
1623173631617.png1623173673636.png1623174225156.png1623174295141.png

Full swing in action
gif (2).gif

JMHO

Dec 12, 2020
I'm being extra picky, I think for her age she's well on her way. Love the way she leverages the ground. However I think she's sitting on her back foot/leg a little at heel plant.

View attachment 22419View attachment 22420View attachment 22421View attachment 22426

VS

View attachment 22423

Here's a nice progression using Wright showing how he get's off is back leg into a balanced position at heel plant. Compare his front hip with the manager in the dug out, from the first to the last pic it travels quite a bit, this distance varies between hitters, but I just wanted to point that out and how his head stays centered over his belt buckle.
View attachment 22428View attachment 22429View attachment 22430View attachment 22431

Full swing in action
View attachment 22427

JMHO
Julray, I never said thank you for this insightful reply. I appreciate it. Her "move out" has been very difficult to conquer this year.

She struggles to maintain staying back without getting stuck back, not to mention timing and to a lessening extent now, fear.

Dec 12, 2020
DD's last six games (first travel experience then a friendly this past weekend) went very well. 5 for 5 on Sat, and .400 for the previous weekend's tourney. Slugging is not quite there yet, but I'm not expecting too much yet out of her 65lb frame, lol.

The quality of her mishits get better and better, and she is slowly getting more barrels, finding the grass often.

The video below compares a recent practice session to a few recent games swings. Its fun to see the correlation when all the uncertainty is introduced. She has been very conscious of her "move out" but it's very hard to keep everything in sync, that particular launch position is hard to achieve. Proud of her continued effort.

I know it's a journey, and I can't express how thankful I am to have found this site and the countless threads, posters, and replies to help the trek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802